07/02 Manufacturer Question

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
JonathanW

07/02 Manufacturer Question

Post by JonathanW »

There’s possibility of funding to set up a business for researching and building prototypes related to patents I have in progress. I was thinking of getting the 07/02 and to supplement the fees, I was thinking of offering transfers for NFA and Regular firearms. Is this allowed? I don’t plan on selling firearms, just transfers or do I have to have a few items for sale?
Pizzim

Post by Pizzim »

They ATF wants to see you in the business of making and or selling firearms. They shouldn’t have an issue with you just doing transfers as a disposition in you bb is the same wether you sold it or not. On a personal level doing transfers without an item to upsell is rather unfruitful labor
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

JonathanW wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:28 pm There’s possibility of funding to set up a business for researching and building prototypes related to patents I have in progress. I was thinking of getting the 07/02 and to supplement the fees, I was thinking of offering transfers for NFA and Regular firearms. Is this allowed? I don’t plan on selling firearms, just transfers or do I have to have a few items for sale?
As long as you can prove your actively using the license in the course of business, and not just trying to have a bunch of neat toys nobody else has, you should be fine.

That being said, if you want the license to just do transfer and expect to make any money, the likelihood of that is slim to none. I had this discussion with a member on here who was going to get his FFL to do 10$ transfers to show how greedy and money hungry us FFLS are...I believe he had to do 200 transfers a year just to break even.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

The money will come from royalties hopefully if certain designs are successful however all depends oh how trails go and if it gets funding
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

home based dealers rarely have inventory for sale, a lot just do transfers....we had an 07 when I worked at Fords but never did any transfers, no sales either..... but I agree with Molivo, because, you gotta do a bunch of paperwork and keep all those records, you might as well do something else with it and try and make some money. I do between 20 and 25 transfers on an average week, I think I'm the cheapest in my area at $ 20, its sometimes not worth dealing with the hassles from the local broke-dicks trying to save a buck...another dealer friend in another state said he raised his transfer fee from $25 to $40 to weed out the riff raff and he has a much nicer client base that also spends money on accessories now...something to think about, I started offering them at $ 20 as a convenience to my customers, but did 19 last week on the short holiday week and am dreading this week for whats coming from all the BF deals, you can't really afford to hire someone just to do transfers at $ 20 each, but when it's 5 a day and each one takes about 30 min, from the time the customer walks in to walks out, it chews up the better part of a day, add time here and there for your end of the paperwork, and step back and realize its your ass, if its wrong..... :shock:

what sucks is when you have 2 or 3 at the same time, the phones ringing, printer runs out of paper, internet goes down, etc....future transfer customers calling to tell you what they bought and their dad had one just like it, blah, blah, blah, ....then a guy calls 1 min after the FedEx leaves saying, he just got an email to say his gun is here, and your looking at 5 boxes and he asks you is it ready for pick up... :oops: