Warning: Hamster-in-a-floating-box variant

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ricordo

Warning: Hamster-in-a-floating-box variant

Post by Ricordo »

Because we all know that hamsters can't swim. Right?

The hamster-in-a-floating-box technique has many variants, be it for surveillance, apprehension, or elimination methods. Suffice to say that because of its effectiveness, adaptability, and adoptability it is still in use after many decades. One such variant you just might have encountered in Florida. It happens to me e v e r y single time I go out driving.

Ever stopped at a traffic light and the car by you, left or right, leaves an abnormally open space from the car in front of it? Probably, that stupidity is performed by cutesies. What those cutesies don't know is that they are using one of the variants. And needlessly putting their lives at risk. Either by cuteness, ignorance, or plain stupidity.

Someone well-versed in that technique will not hesitate to be at ready for what he is trained to recognize. That he might a target. The cutesie makes a wrong move...the cutesie is dead.

I don't know if it happens with such frequency in other states. But in Florida you see it all the time.

Do not perform that shit. You might not like the results. Be forewarned.
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

And while we're at this, I always leave approximately the same space between my car and the one in front at a stop light . By force of habit.

The appropriate line of sight from the front of the hood will always almost align with the back wheels of the vehicle in front. Just enough to see the back wheels.

Can't be boxed-in that way.

And for those who leave a lot more space, at times a car length length or more, because of the dangers of being rear-ended and hitting the car in front of you, let me put it this way. If you are so delicate that that possibility keeps you awake at night, perhaps you shouldn't be driving at all. You see....wild flowers are so delicate.... safe spaces from all the terrors out there... chances are if you are hit from behind you'll step-off the brake pedal.

Next up...alignment of the side mirrors...
Let's Go Brandon
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

:D

Yes, the image it evokes is sort of perplexing.

When I first heard about it I said to myself, "No shit. You really calling it that?".

I much later mentioned to a friend of mine, an Assistant US Attorney, that it's because hamsters can't swim and she said, "Oh, poor little thing!". :lol:
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Fwiw, the original technique, HIAFB, IIRC was developed in the 40s or 50s by the FBI.

From there it caught like wildfire because involved people were commenting---"That shit really works, let's adopt it.".
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Align side mirrors.

Adopt your usual driving seating position. Adjust center rear view mirror so that the whole rear windshield is in view.

Lean over to the left side (driver's) window until your head touches the window. From that position, adjust left side mirror outward so that the left lane comes into view and the right side of the left side mirror slightly shows the left rear fender.

Lean over to your right approximately the same distance as you did previously to the left and repeat the process.

Voila! You have 180 degree rear/side vision. It took me around 2 minutes to get used to it. YMMV. What happens then is that whenever a car comes at you from the rear and moves to a side lane, it will instantly pop out seamlessly in the side mirror from your regular driving position.
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Next up....how to cook spaghetti al dente...
Let's Go Brandon
jr81452

Post by jr81452 »

Off your meds again?
Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities - Voltaire

Zealot: noun 1. a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.
philasteen

Post by philasteen »

Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

During a conversation with a dear friend, who was definitely not an asshole, many decades ago we discussed nuclear strikes and the aftermaths. His opinion was definitive. He would go outside, and "embrace the light".

The following link contains useful information for those that decide to stick it out. I have checked it for accuracy. The article reminded me of a late 60s British movie that was banned by the BBC. IIRC, that movie never made it to the states.

Enjoy... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... panic.html
Let's Go Brandon