Remington "Special Field" Alternatives

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
NorincoKid

Remington "Special Field" Alternatives

Post by NorincoKid »

Have an itch for a SBS....purely for funsies.

I've been looking into the Rem "Special Field" pumps, basically an 870 but with a slightly shorter magazine tube, and a barrel lug closer to the receiver than a standard 870.l

Looks like one of those could be chopped down and get me around 10.5" or so if I go flush with the tube cap. That's a length I'm happy with.

But man, those shotguns are f*cking expensive. Anybody here know of any comparable tube lengths on other models that could get me around that magic 10"-10.5" length?

Looks like a standard 870 could go as short as 12.5" but I'm trying to for a few inches shorter than that. While I'm sure that I could shorten and rethread a mag tube, and remove and reattach a barrel lug ring myself, I'd like to avoid doing that...would much rather just wait for a stamp and go at it with the hacksaw.

Maybe some of the offbrand guns are floating around with short/low magazine tube capacity? Old Sears guns, JC Higgins, Western Field etc.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Old Remington Wingmasters are hard to beat for smooth action and trigger if you want a pump gun.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Outgunu wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:27 pm Old Remington Wingmasters are hard to beat for smooth action and trigger if you want a pump gun.
Indeed.

But it's really more of a length issue than anything else. In a perfect world, it would be nice to just grab a wingmaster or police magnum and set it up like the special field but that's just not very fun at all on Remingtons...