What's the consensus on AKs MANUFACTERED by Atlantic Firearms?

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
tector

What's the consensus on AKs MANUFACTERED by Atlantic Firearms?

Post by tector »

I know they are a pretty well-respected vendor of firearms, but any feedback on their own label guns? The specific one I'm looking at is here: https://atlanticfirearms.com/AK74-Pistol

“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Dead link, can't read the specs.

I think their other "in house" parts kit builds are usually decent though. Typically Morrissey receivers (comparable to Nodaks) or maybe US Childers/Recreator ones and refinished surplus (not cast, garbage) parts with a US barrel and what appear to be decently formed rivets.

I don't know what parts they use for the one you linked to, the front sight/gas block combo is USA made (German style repro), the rear trunnion appears to be a odd rivet pattern (Romy UF, or maybe a USA/JMAC style one). Trigger guard doesn't appear to have an AK74 dimpled magazine catch, looks standard AKM.

They currently have some Romanian AIMS kits, so that may be what they used for core parts on these. Or it could be WBP parts, although I think the carriers on WBP 5.45 are stainless not blued. Definitely doesn't appear to be Bulgarian/Russian pattern 74 parts.

Whats the price tag?
tector

Post by tector »

Link is working fine for me. Weird. $1699.

Copy and paste:

Romanian AIMS 74 Pistol
Built for Atlantic Arms MFG
Built from an Original Romanian AIMS 74 parts kit
Childers Guns CG2 5.45x39 Receiver, with S & F markings
JMac Customs 12.5" Cold Hammer Forged 5.45x39mm Nitride barrel, threaded 14mmx1LH
JMac Customs RRD2-C Muzzle Device
JMac Customs GBC-13 Gas block sight block combo with muzzle detent
JMac Customs AK105 Style Cleaning rod
JMac Customs MRKT Modular Rear Trunnion
US Plum Polymer Handguards and pistol grip
ALG Defense AKT Fire Control group
Fully heat treated US Receiver
Manganese Phosphate based finish with Black Teflon Top Coat
Comes with (1) US 30 Round magazine
Backed up by a 1 year warranty

The Romanian AIMS 74 Pistol, 5.45 x 39mm semi automatic. With the limited offering in 5.45x39mm on the market today the team at Atlantic Arms MFG decided to assemble a small batch Romanian AIMS 74 kits into custom pistol builds.These pistols feature original AIMS 74 parts with the addition of parts from JMac Customs, Definitive Arms and ALG Defense. This pistol is ready for whatever you are and then some. The New US Plum colored polymer handguards and grip give this pistol a stylish look. While the other parts make this pistol that much more solid and reliable. Some of the most notable features on this build are the JMac Customs MRKT Modular Rear Trunnion giving the end user flexibility to mount various adapters, brace and stocks(with and ATF approved Form 1) , the JMac Customs 12.5" Cold Hammer Forged 5.45x39mm Nitride barrel, JMac Customs GBC-13 gas/sight block combo, and ALG's AKT fire control group. Finally these are finished with a beautiful Manganese Phosphate based finish with Black Teflon Top Coat and Backed by a 1 year warranty.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

$1700 is brutal for a 50% USA made AK, but if money is no object I'd imagine it's a fine gun.

The JMAC front sight is $100 ish, dunno about their rear trunnion. Figure the receiver from Childers is around $100, and the barrel is American and OOS at JMAC so unsure of cost.

But, the original parts that would be in that $700 kit that were not used for the pistol are pricey parts, particularly the 22mm Romanian FSB and muzzle brake, those command good $$$ for people who "de-ban" WASR/SAR rfiles.

The value of the parts added up (with or without reselling the unused real military parts that weren't used) leaves quite a few hundred dollars of markup or "labor" there.

I may be looking at it the wrong way, but that's just how I see it. $1700 is a lot of money, If you don't mind USA made parts on your AK you're well into AKS74U clone money at that point.
tector

Post by tector »

Well, another way to look at it is simply evaluating a market price. Are you aware of a comparable build AK-74 pistol at a better price?

I appreciate the effort you took in deconstructing the price, but if there is not a better value out there then it is hard to say it's overpriced. It's just the market.

The problem is that things we can remember being priced at X 15 or 20 years ago, are now often 2X, 2.5X, or more. This is especially true of AKs. Some other guns, like basic ARs, are still a relative value.

20 years year ago I used to buy skirt steaks for $3.99/lb. Now when I see them for $22/lb. at Publix I just laugh. I think you having the same reaction here.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

I guess you'd have to define "comparable build".

It's mostly American made. The core imported parts used are used Romanian (arguably the least desirable of any of the AK74 variants on the planet).

For $1700 you could have something similar, identical, or in my opinion better built using better parts and have money left over. That's all.

A Century M74 abortion (Bulgarian) and a 24mm combo, and a new receiver shell and you'd have yourself a superior quality firearm.

Have you looked into having one built for you? Or just off the shelf stuff? $1700 is a pretty big budget,

If you like the setup of a mostly American Romanian AK Pistol that looks like an East German AK pistol I'd say go for it.

Not trying to come off as a dick or anything. Just my opinion. With all the reproduction AKS74u parts on the market, and Bukgarian CR parts etc I just think you could do better and probably for less.

If this was a factory gun, or an import, I'd see the whole flank steak comparison...

Do you have plans to SBR it? Just curious.

Does it check all the boxes of what your looking for in an AK pistol? Barrel length? Muzzle thread pitch etc.

AIMS parts were the redheaded stepchild of 74's, non standard component sizes (23mm vs regular 22mm AK74 pattern) journals were AKM spec, gas block was AKM spec, non standard FSB and thread pitch, etc.

The bolt and carrier on the Romanian 74 was nonstandard as well, not compatible with Bulgarian, Russian or Polish ones. Just something to keep in mind if you ever need to replace a failed part, practically zero AK74 parts will actually fit this.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Out of extreme boredom while drinking my morning coffee I gave it some thought.

Trunnion - New Production Forged Polish Import $89
Bolt - New Production Forged Polish Import $79
Bolt Carrier (Body) - New Production Polish Import $79
Piston - Chrome ($8-$20 depending on config)
Recoil Assy - $15
Barrel - (CHF/CL) $159
Gas Tube $15-$30 (Depending on config)
Dust Cover $20-$50 (Depending on config)
Trigger Guard/Magazine Catch & SS $25
Rear Trunnion $20-$120 (Depending on config)
Front Sight/Gas Block $40-$100 (Depending on config)
Rear Sight $30-$60 (Depending on config)
Handguards/Grip ($25 to infinity depending on config)
HG Retainer $20
Cleaning Rod (if desired, $8)

Receiver $50-$125 (Depending on config)
FCG $20-$100 (Depending on config)
Rivets $6

So, a "base" parts cost using Polish (Think Beryl, etc NOT that Pioneer crap) parts would be $680, but the sky is the limit depending on exactly what you'd want.

Picturing an ideal (to me anyway) AK74 pistol setup would probably be a bit more.

Bulgarian/Russian style, CR type, 10.5"-ish barrel, 24mm combo block, AMD length gas system, 4.5mm bulgarian side folder (AK100) trunnion setup (brace or leave it as-is empty and if SBR is desired, it's as simple as popping out a pin). A few inches shorter than the Atlantic one, but a few inches longer than a AKS74U so a happy medium I think. Similar to what PSA offers, but actually using imported "real" parts, and a little bit shorter.

If you put the same cheap US "plum" handguards and grip that Atlantic uses on that one, they would be very similar guns. Minor differences in aesthetics, muzzle thread pitch, and length, but generally similar guns.

Trunnion - New Production Forged Polish Import $89
Bolt - New Production Forged Polish Import $79
Bolt Carrier (Body) - New Production Polish Import $79
Piston - Chrome ($20 short)
Recoil Assy - $15
Barrel - (CHF/CL) $159
Gas Tube $30 (Short)
Dust Cover $20 (Standard, AK74)
Trigger Guard/Magazine Catch & SS $25
Rear Trunnion $100 (4.5mm Folder with hardware)
Front Sight/Gas Block $125 (24mm Meridian)
Rear Sight $30 (Standard AK74)
Handguards/Grip $25 (Standard Black Poly AK100/AK74)
HG Retainer $20
Cleaning Rod (if desired, $8)

Receiver $50-$100 ($50 for Morrisey 100% FFL)
FCG $20 (Standard Euro import military trigger group)
Rivets $6

That config comes up to $900 in parts, plus all the various shipping from the different vendors etc. And thats just a config that I think would make a decent AK74 pistol, opinions are like assholes, we all have them. (Oh, and a 24mm short AK100 booster for the muzzle, so $25 for that)

Would require some lathe time (easy enough, reprofile one journal, cut, crown), but otherwise a pretty standard AK build process. I've done weirder and more difficult ones than that.

Just saying, using that as an example if you could have it built for less than $800 in labor (and $800 in labor for that would be rape), you'd come out ahead. If that makes sense.
tector

Post by tector »

I have one built by Don (of Don's Gun Shop in Ft. Myers) ages ago (15+ years?). The project you are describing sounds great, but at this point in life I have neither the time nor inclination to build myself, so the issue is whether somebody reliable would do it for much less than $1700 parts and labor. If it is going to wind up costing $100 less but I have to wait 6 months, it's really not worth it the difference. No SBR plans here.

I do appreciate your detailed answers--you put a lot of time into them, obviously, so please accept my thanks. I owe you a beer, or two.