Pasco County Schools reaches agreement

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ricordo

Pasco County Schools reaches agreement

Post by Ricordo »

"LAND O' LAKES, Fla. - The U.S. Department of Justice and Pasco County Schools have reached an agreement over discrimination allegations against students with disabilities.

The investigation dates back to the 2018-2019 school year and found that the district discriminated against students with disabilities by routinely relying on suspensions and referrals to law enforcement to respond to students' disability-related behaviors that could have been addressed through proper behavioral interventions and supports.

As part of the agreement, the district will have to make major changes when it comes to how they deal with behavioral issues with students who have disabilities..." https://www.fox13news.com/news/pasco-co ... sabilities

8-)

Cool. They are children...
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

I remember.

Invited to a party for special middle schoolers, one threw a tantrum and dropped to the floor. I did what any reasonable person would do in that situation and asked him gently for permission to lay beside him. Mind you, my usual bark sounds like an angry Great Pyrenee. Granted, his conversation skills weren't that great, but his body language said it all. And we understood each other.

So we talked. And he calmed down.

They are children. They have a special place with The God of my ancestors.

I have other stories but I don't want to bore you with them.
Last edited by Ricordo on Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Fwiw, I'm usually 80-82% Roman Apostolic Catholic. Most of the rest Rosicrucian, with some Hindu sprinkled-in.

Namaste (Translation: The God in me salutes The God in you).

:)
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Namaste (Translation: The God in me salutes The God in you).
Yeah....granted.

At times you have to let them sort things out....
:D
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Let's Go Brandon
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

The issue with Pasco County is just a small sample of the problem with the nation as a whole. Under Republican leadership going back to Ronaldus Magnus (Rush Limbaugh's nickname for Ronald Reagan), the actions have been to slash funding for mental health and just dump 'em on the police to deal with.

As a cop, I dealt with it all the time. Adults and children with mental health issues would be dumped on us. And all we could do was either write a report, Baker Act 'em, or arrest 'em. That's it. Baker Acting them was a waste of time since the state barely funds mental health treatment. Arresting them didn't solve the issue either. The best we could do was refer them to underfunded programs that were overbooked and understaffed.

The fact that a school board would just want to dump kids on the police, instead of actually invest funding into treating these kids shows you where the school board stands. It isn't shocking and last I checked, they're majority Republican controlled.

Going back to my LE career, I worked as an SRO too and I sickened me seeing how the special ed kids were treated by some schools. The school staff would want me to arrest a kid for "acting out" and "having an episode." Instead, I'd talk to the kid and try to figure out what was going on. I'd befriend them, try to support them, try to make their days better.

A lot of these kids don't have good home lives and school is an outlet for them to work out their frustrations and fears.

In the end, America needs to have a long hard talk with itself and discuss the issues facing mental and emotional health.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Going back to my LE career, I worked as an SRO too and I sickened me seeing how the special ed kids were treated by some schools. The school staff would want me to arrest a kid for "acting out" and "having an episode." Instead, I'd talk to the kid and try to figure out what was going on. I'd befriend them, try to support them, try to make their days better.

A lot of these kids don't have good home lives and school is an outlet for them to work out their frustrations and fears.

In the end, America needs to have a long hard talk with itself and discuss the issues facing mental and emotional health.
We couldn't agree more.

You have a good heart.
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

All of you should have noticed that there are more people now than before with mental issues. Don't know if that can be attributed merely by the increase in population, or lack of mental health therapy access, or the water that they drink, or that the aliens have ceased their DNA experimentation. Don't care about the reasons behind it. It seems that some people rise up in the morning and say, "I'd like to get shot today!".

Whatever the reason might be, it's not getting better. We know that. The question is, what could be done about it?

I do not know the answer. I do know that when I lay down beside that autistic child and spoke gently to him he calmed down.

Yeah...I know....I can be gentle sometimes. Go figure....
Let's Go Brandon
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Btw, did I tell you guys about the time when I was a crossing a stone bridge minding my own business and was fired upon from below both sides of the bridge?

:D
Let's Go Brandon
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Ricordo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:42 pm All of you should have noticed that there are more people now than before with mental issues. Don't know if that can be attributed merely by the increase in population, or lack of mental health therapy access, or the water that they drink, or that the aliens have ceased their DNA experimentation. Don't care about the reasons behind it. It seems that some people rise up in the morning and say, "I'd like to get shot today!".

Whatever the reason might be, it's not getting better. We know that. The question is, what could be done about it?

I do not know the answer. I do know that when I lay down beside that autistic child and spoke gently to him he calmed down.

Yeah...I know....I can be gentle sometimes. Go figure....
A lot of it is simple.... back in the day. Folks with mental health issues were either shuttered from society by their families or locked up in poorly maintained and funded mental health centers that were basically prisons.

Since Reagan defunded mental healthcare, they're now on the streets. The "solutions" for the past forty years have been to simple overly medicate the issue to where the people are drooling on themselves.

No one wants to actually fund the studies and treatments to find root cause and cures.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA