Looking for wild sour oranges

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
flcracker

Looking for wild sour oranges

Post by flcracker »

I'm talking about those big beautiful thick-skinned oranges that grow wild in the Florida woods which will lock your jaw right up if you peel one and chow down. Not the puny dried-up tangerine-looking things that grow in old abandoned citrus groves. And definitely not some tree growing in the woods that folks say has "the sweetest fruit".

When ah say sour, boy, ah mean SOUR!

They're scattered through the undisturbed woods across Florida. There's a bunch at Highlands Hammock SP and at the Chassahowitzka River Campground but places like that are heavily overpicked. I know of a spot where there's a few way the heck out in the Upper Hillsborough WMA but it's a long wet hike out to that place.

I'm looking for somewhere I can pick a 5-gallon bucketfull or two without having to trek all over Hell and gone to get them. Legal access only, or at least a very low chance of being busted for trespassing/poaching or getting shot.

Your finder's fee will be a true Florida Cracker sour orange pie (graham cracker crust and meringue not whipped cream, thank you very much) and a bottle of orangecello.

I live in Sarasota and travel frequently to Polk County via either I-75/I-4 or through Myakka/Duette and the phosphate mines. The Law of Diminishing Returns means that the closer to my AO, the better. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not disclose the location publicly. Thanks!
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

When I was coming up on Merritt Island in the 60's those things were EVERYWHERE.

We called them "chicken oranges".
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

Sour orange juice is what I use to make mojo and marinate pigs.
The best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grip Hugger

Post by Grip Hugger »

I used to see some of those in Jumper Creek WMA near the power lines just east of the Outlet river that runs into the Withlacoochee.
The shooter formerly called #1Glock30
Casual

Post by Casual »

flcracker wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:29 am I'm talking about those big beautiful thick-skinned oranges that grow wild in the Florida woods which will lock your jaw right up if you peel one and chow down. Not the puny dried-up tangerine-looking things that grow in old abandoned citrus groves. And definitely not some tree growing in the woods that folks say has "the sweetest fruit".

When ah say sour, boy, ah mean SOUR!

They're scattered through the undisturbed woods across Florida. There's a bunch at Highlands Hammock SP and at the Chassahowitzka River Campground but places like that are heavily overpicked. I know of a spot where there's a few way the heck out in the Upper Hillsborough WMA but it's a long wet hike out to that place.

I'm looking for somewhere I can pick a 5-gallon bucketfull or two without having to trek all over Hell and gone to get them. Legal access only, or at least a very low chance of being busted for trespassing/poaching or getting shot.

Your finder's fee will be a true Florida Cracker sour orange pie (graham cracker crust and meringue not whipped cream, thank you very much) and a bottle of orangecello.

I live in Sarasota and travel frequently to Polk County via either I-75/I-4 or through Myakka/Duette and the phosphate mines. The Law of Diminishing Returns means that the closer to my AO, the better. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not disclose the location publicly. Thanks!
Across from my moms property, at the mailbox. I'll check next time I swing by. Usually get 2 dozen a year