Used Car Buying in Fla

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

The last few used cars I have bought directly from rental agency's, Hertz, etc. They were late model lease vehicles with high for year miles and excellent deals. They normally don't dicker and also don't charge so many money grubbing fees. You might not realize that over half of the used cars on dealer lots were rental cars that they auctioned off. The vehicles rental agency's sell direct are almost always the ones that are in better shape and don't need anything fixed.
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

Outgunu wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:16 am The last few used cars I have bought directly from rental agency's, Hertz, etc. They were late model lease vehicles with high for year miles and excellent deals. They normally don't dicker and also don't charge so many money grubbing fees. You might not realize that over half of the used cars on dealer lots were rental cars that they auctioned off. The vehicles rental agency's sell direct are almost always the ones that are in better shape and don't need anything fixed.
Yeah, a lot of the vehicles I looked at, when you check the Carfax, were either rental or corporate fleet cars in their first ownership cycle.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

Sounds like when we bought my wife's Subaru. Saw the car a 2 year old 2015 Forester with 12k miles on line, went to the dealer in Pembroke Pines, test drove it, she liked it. So I told the salesman I'll give him the on line price of 20k, in cash plus state sales tax, tag and title transfer. He came back with a invoice of 27+k. They had tacked on fees that would only be believed by a feeble mind.
I showed it to my wife and we both got up and said bye. He said wait and well see what we can do. I told him again my first offer and I won't pay a dime more. After wasting another hour of our time with a progressively less invoice coming back every time, and us getting up to leave every time the general manager came in and we left with the car for 22,000 and a 100k mile every thing inside the door handles warranty that came in real handy when the AC went out and they replaced the compressor and evaporator at 55k and it ate a rear wheel baring at 85k.
With 125k on it now we've decided to keep it going to 300k and when it does come time to buy another car well buy from a private seller
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

Here's two more classics I've run across in the last few days.

Dealer 1 - Add $1999 enviormental fee (plus some other stuff)

Dealer 2 - Florida emissions testing fee (Have you ever seen an emissions testing shop in Fla????)
We applied rule 303.

Harry "Breaker" Morant
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

BerettaRacer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:40 am (Have you ever seen an emissions testing shop in Fla????)

Florida Smog Check / Emissions Test
The State of Florida abolished all vehicle emissions test requirements back in the 1990’s. There are currently no vehicle emissions test requirements to register a vehicle in the State of Florida. The Florida Governor at the time, Jeb Bush, did away with state emissions testing due to the high cost of the program – $50 million annually – and because Florida met all Federal Clean-Air standards.

If you know you need an Emissions test done click here to select your county and find the nearest location.

Requirements to Pass the Florida Smog Check
Florida vehicle owners do not need to pass a smog check for their motor vehicles because there are no smog check requirements for the state.

Moved to Florida – Smog Check Requirements
If a vehicle owner moves to Florida, they may feel lucky knowing they do not have to pay to get a smog check. Florida does not require smog checks for vehicles registered in the state.
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

Another classic.
Car is a 2016 BMW, listed price $19,999.

Dealer Disclosure: All vehicles are subject to prior sale. Price does not include applicable state sales tax, title, license plate, pre-delivery service charge of $1299.00 (This charge represents costs and profit to the dealer for items such as inspecting, cleaning, and adjusting vehicles, and preparing documents related to the sale), electronic filing fee of $699.00 (This charge represents costs and profit to the dealer for items such as inspecting, cleaning, and adjusting vehicles, and preparing documents related to the sale). The price also does not include the cost of pre-installed Elite Protection Plan products pre-installed on all of its vehicles of $1495.00 (This charge represents costs and profit to the dealer for items such as inspecting, cleaning, and adjusting vehicles, and preparing documents related to the sale).

That's $3500 in fees over and above the list price, NOT INCLUDING taxes, title and registration, for a 10 y/o used car!!!!

WTF!!!! ?????
We applied rule 303.

Harry "Breaker" Morant