Miami gun show now $17 to get in

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wakko

Miami gun show now $17 to get in

Post by Wakko »

Obviously prices are going to increase as time goes on, and the days of $5 admission are long gone, but I received an email touting the show and it stated $15 admission, then a follow up email with a correction of $17. Bring your sigo and you're into it for nearly $40 to see what, soap, beef jerky and Glocks? Shame.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

Not to mention you now have to pay $5 to park at the fairground.

I used to say that the show at the fairgrounds had three things I liked: free parking, good parking, and actual parking (as opposed to when they used to have it a Coconut Grove). Now they're down to one out of three.
My posts kill threads.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Wow, I didn't know they charged for parking now. That's nuts.
tector

Post by tector »

Wakko wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:30 pm Wow, I didn't know they charged for parking now. That's nuts.
Yeah, for at least a couple of years. But I think the venue added that.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

tector wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:10 pm
Wakko wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:30 pm Wow, I didn't know they charged for parking now. That's nuts.
Yeah, for at least a couple of years. But I think the venue added that.
I believe you are correct, the parking fee is collected by the venue as they charge it for other events, not just the gun show. Also, it did start a few years ago, it wasn't always like that. It was a bit of a shock for me the first time they charged as I was used to parking for free (as stated above). I think they started charging for parking back when the show was still charging $10 entrance. I guess they all have to make some money somehow, but it just sucks how it takes more fun away from the events. Now you're mentally calculating that you have to get your money's worth with the entrance so you almost feel compelled to buy something and at least save yourself shipping charges.
My posts kill threads.
305tillimoved

Post by 305tillimoved »

I don't remember the last time I actually found a decent deal at a gun show in the SOFLA area. I used to go to kill time and grab some jerky. I stopped going a while ago as it wasn't worth it anymore. Theyre catering to a certain crowd and know that they can charge what they're charging without the clientele batting an eye.
tector

Post by tector »

I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but both could not go (one's mother passed away--RIP). If I am looking for a new gun, I definitely go--I've always gotten really good deals from Khaled in person. But nothing new was tickling my fancy right now. You can find new gun deals online, but shipping (whether built into the price or broken out separately) + transfer fees add up to way more than $22.

On used and older guns, I would agree that local shows aren't what they used to be. But unless you are going to make a trip out of it and go to Tulsa (and maybe a handful of others, like Louisville, if that is still good), the pickings are slim. Same is true at the pawn shops--used to find a few gems now and then. Recently I've seen nothing. Perhaps online selling has hollowed out those markets.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

I've had pretty good luck at the used guns lots at shows, but it's hit and miss. I actually saw a couple of sort-of bargains today, but nothing that compelled me to buy. I may try to hit a northern Florida show later this month as I'm going to be there for work anyway.
My posts kill threads.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

tector wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:54 pm I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but both could not go (one's mother passed away--RIP). If I am looking for a new gun, I definitely go--I've always gotten really good deals from Khaled in person. But nothing new was tickling my fancy right now. You can find new gun deals online, but shipping (whether built into the price or broken out separately) + transfer fees add up to way more than $22.
The big savings in buying on line is the lack of sales tax. A few months ago I purchased an AP-5, which is a MP-5 built in Turkey on HK machinery. Locally the cheapest I could find it was $1350, plus tax which would be $1449.50. On line it was $1107 delivered to the FFL, plus $25 transfer fee, but no sales tax. So the total was $1132, a difference of $317.50. I gave the FFL a chance to match the price, but he couldn’t, & I don’t blame him, as he is required to collect sales tax. So I took a chance, & rolled the dice, & the gun has been perfect. But it’s the first, & only time I’ve made an online purchase of a firearm. I go to shows now to find guns from the last 30+ years. Not dealers who all have the same Glocks where prices can vary $150-$200 from one table to the next. When I worked for Khaled, & Ira, they’d give me good deals on what I wanted, but I had a herniated disc L3-L4, & can no longer do the shows. And the first time they started charging for parking in Miami, Khaled asked them to record how many people said “fu#k this, I’m leaving. 14 people left. Apparently some new boss at the fairgrounds figured if people could pay to park in South Beach, they could pay to park at the shows. GARY.
tector

Post by tector »

N4KVE wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 am
tector wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:54 pm I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but both could not go (one's mother passed away--RIP). If I am looking for a new gun, I definitely go--I've always gotten really good deals from Khaled in person. But nothing new was tickling my fancy right now. You can find new gun deals online, but shipping (whether built into the price or broken out separately) + transfer fees add up to way more than $22.
The big savings in buying on line is the lack of sales tax. A few months ago I purchased an AP-5, which is a MP-5 built in Turkey on HK machinery. Locally the cheapest I could find it was $1350, plus tax which would be $1449.50. On line it was $1107 delivered to the FFL, plus $25 transfer fee, but no sales tax. So the total was $1132, a difference of $317.50. I gave the FFL a chance to match the price, but he couldn’t, & I don’t blame him, as he is required to collect sales tax. So I took a chance, & rolled the dice, & the gun has been perfect. But it’s the first, & only time I’ve made an online purchase of a firearm. I go to shows now to find guns from the last 30+ years. Not dealers who all have the same Glocks where prices can vary $150-$200 from one table to the next. When I worked for Khaled, & Ira, they’d give me good deals on what I wanted, but I had a herniated disc L3-L4, & can no longer do the shows. And the first time they started charging for parking in Miami, Khaled asked them to record how many people said “fu#k this, I’m leaving. 14 people left. Apparently some new boss at the fairgrounds figured if people could pay to park in South Beach, they could pay to park at the shows. GARY.
Uhhh...the laws about sales tax on internet sales changed quite a while ago. What you say WAS very true back before then. But any commercial dealer (not private sales, like here or FGT) not charging sales tax now is looking to get absolutely clobbered. I'm not doubting your story--hell, I went to the Tulsa gun show, maybe ten years ago, and some guy wanted to private sell me a handgun even though he knew I was from out-of-state (he said "this is Oklahoma, son"). There are all kinds of dopes out there. But the vast majority of sellers are going to collect sales tax now (I think Gunbroker enforces it on all sales).