Open Carry

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
Deputydave

Open Carry

Post by Deputydave »

Heard on the news today that some of the folks in the Florida legislature are planning on pushing open carry with a permit. Interesting news. Regardless of your view on open carry, have you heard anything one way or the other?
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Deputydave wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:05 pm Heard on the news today that some of the folks in the Florida legislature are planning on pushing open carry with a permit. Interesting news. Regardless of your view on open carry, have you heard anything one way or the other?
I have not. And, TBH, I seriously doubt they'll amass enough legislators to effect that change. Too many of them that still don't want it. Too much pressure, still, from "The Rodent" and the FRF and others.

Hate to sound like a "broken record," but I really think the best thing they can do for pro-2A people in FL is whack away at my "fab 4" list:

1) Eliminate/repeal Red flag laws;
2) "Felonize" Civil Asset Forfeiture (make it illegal/criminal).
3) Clarify the definition of "Improper display of a firearm:" (brandishing) so to eliminate any discretion given to LE.
4) Work with other adjacent states to form a "2A Sanctuary" compact between them.

Also, change FL Statutes to allow for the storage of firearms/ammo at those public "Metro Storage" like places. Even if it's a separate contract and a separate locker or something under greater control, it would help in that it would take the "inventory" out of the home and keep it out of LE custody. To me, that's the biggest concern with Red Flag laws... the fact that it's LE that gets to seize them and "temporarily confiscate" them. Somehow, where I used to live in the PRNJ, that "temporary" situation always seemed to convert to a "permanent" one... regardless of the outcome of the court hearing.

I don't think they'll get OC. If they can, then great. I won't ever use it, but I support it for those who want it.
Last edited by FfNJGTFO on Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
George W

Post by George W »

I am sure that MiamiJBT would have started about 19 threads if this was a serious push.

My guess is any discussions are more about fund raising that anything else.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Never going to happen,

Mire likely to happen us this idiot down here in South Broward that wants background checks on ammunition.

She needs to leave this state and move to a communist state

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

TACC wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:39 pm Never going to happen
Never say never :D

I really didn't think permitless carry would ever be a thing. Now it is. So at least a step in the right direction.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
tector

Post by tector »

Deputydave wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:56 pm

I really didn't think permitless carry would ever be a thing. Now it is. So at least a step in the right direction.
It would require a FL legislature controlled by a GOP not totally in the pocket of business interests like the Florida Retail Federation. THAT''S the part that seems farfetched. Too many Fudd Republican voters from up north down here. Our GOP voters are not like say Oklahoma GOP voters.

We have met the enemy and it is us.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

George W wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:52 pm I am sure that MiamiJBT would have started about 19 threads if this was a serious push.

My guess is any discussions are more about fund raising that anything else.
Working on something behind the scenes.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Deputydave wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:56 pm

Permitless Carry was, IMHO, a "low hanging fruit." Doesn't have much risk... much opposition. They know that most people that already have a CWFL will keep it (for the benefits of a CWFL - Instant FFL delivery, reciprocity with other states, limited carry in a school zone, etc. etc.).

OC, OTOH, has a lot of political risk. It's very "demonstrative." It's "out there." To turn OC on suddenly in a society that's not yet conditioned to tolerate it (if not accept it) is a Herculean effort. Places like Texas, Arizona, etc. may have societies that are "partially conditioned" at least (maybe not Tuscon or Sedona, but...)... Florida societies are not yet "conditioned," I think. You may very well see LE tolerating it, perhaps even the retailers as well. But the "people" who were anti will take a whole lot longer to get "conditioned." And I'm sure LE will get tired of all the SWATing going on from anti's just going cray-cray when they see someone OCing. So much so, that I think they'll want it to be illegal so they don't have to deal with that.

If Luis (@Miami_JBT ) can get it done, then great! And we'll then see how the "conditioning" goes in FL. But I would hope that our pro-2A activists don't lose sight of the more important things (IMHO admittedly) that affect all of us, and stay focused on those.

See my "Fab 4" list above.
ADulay

Post by ADulay »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:07 am " And I'm sure LE will get tired of all the SWATing going on from anti's just going cray-cray when they see someone OCing. So much so, that I think they'll want it to be illegal so they don't have to deal with that.
The way to keep the LEOs from being overburdened by Swatting calls is to have the dispatchers intercept it, like they should, before it even goes out.

Ask the caller a few easy questions.

Karen: There's a man with a gun here!!!!

Dispatch: What's the person doing with the gun? Is it in his hand? What is he doing at this time?

Karen: Well, he's sitting down and eating right now, but he has a gun!!!

Dispatch: Is he using the gun to eat?

Karen: Well, no, and I can't see it, but he has a gun!!! I saw it when he got off of his motorcycle.

Dispatch: We'll send a car out shortly.

By the time the car actually gets there, the Karen will have left and the guy with the gun should be finished with his bowl of chili.

Been there, done that.

AD
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

ADulay wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:27 pm
FfNJGTFO wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:07 am " And I'm sure LE will get tired of all the SWATing going on from anti's just going cray-cray when they see someone OCing. So much so, that I think they'll want it to be illegal so they don't have to deal with that.
The way to keep the LEOs from being overburdened by Swatting calls is to have the dispatchers intercept it, like they should, before it even goes out.

Ask the caller a few easy questions.

Karen: There's a man with a gun here!!!!

Dispatch: What's the person doing with the gun? Is it in his hand? What is he doing at this time?

Karen: Well, he's sitting down and eating right now, but he has a gun!!!

Dispatch: Is he using the gun to eat?

Karen: Well, no, and I can't see it, but he has a gun!!! I saw it when he got off of his motorcycle.

Dispatch: We'll send a car out shortly.

By the time the car actually gets there, the Karen will have left and the guy with the gun should be finished with his bowl of chili.

Been there, done that.

AD
Hmmmmmm.... Might just work! :D