Gun Shows- Private Sellers

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
wjbarricklow

Gun Shows- Private Sellers

Post by wjbarricklow »

Suncoast and Florida Gun Shows are now just Florida Gun Shows, and they don't allow private sales.

Is there a gun show in a well trafficked area that still allows private sales?

I have a bunch of inexpensive shotguns and rifles, and I'm wanting to print up a stack of bill of sale forms and price them to sell fast and let them all go.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Interesting about Florida/Suncoast no longer allowing private sales. Useful to know, no more interest on my part, then. "Two Guys" had some shows on the east coast, I don't know about your area, or if they allow private sales or not. They were smaller, so the owners could watch more. Further, some counties, while they couldn't ban private sales at shows, could place roadblocks even as petty harassment in the parking lots, against people coming out holding guns. That was here, may have spread.

Obviously, you will have tried on the b/s/t here, my preferred venue and reason I haven't been to a gun show in years. Given your objective, you need a larger audience. Maybe (while holding nose) Florida Gun Trader? Also, Armslist; you have to pay for listing privileges, but that can be month-to-month. Pay for a couple of months, then cancel; you can restart at any time. Sure, you'll have to be more careful but what else can you do. The gun show may be a thing of the past if it they're going to be retail only.

The main problem on FSN seems to be so many of the good deals and guns are on the other coast.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
tector

Post by tector »

REDinFL wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:38 am Further, some counties, while they couldn't ban private sales at shows, could place roadblocks even as petty harassment in the parking lots, against people coming out holding guns. That was here, may have spread.
A lot of the bigger gun shows are at county or municipal facilities where the local government CAN ban private sales in their capacity as landlord. This has been true in Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties for ages, and was true in Broward back when we had a large show venue.

Beyond that, even private facilities may have problems with their insurer(s) if they don't ban private sales. The gun show promoters may have similar problems

In short, once you get past the VFW / American Legion hall size show, there is a gauntlet these shows have to run which is unseen to you.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Absolutely correct. Here in Pinellas, the Sheriff's Dept. announced a number of years ago that officers would check everyone they saw in the parking lot coming out with a gun. Idea being, if bought, was it via 4473 or private? You can guess the rest. But, the points are well taken, that the local officials placed burdens on the venues. I'll not impose my cynicism re: Suncoast/Florida Gunshows.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
George W

Post by George W »

I attend a few shows a year. Two Guys and the Lakeland Rifle and Pistol Club at the airport are the usual suspects. There's also a couple of exhibitors that set up in Plant City from time to time. Lots of Private Sellers at all.

I have been to a few in Pinellas County, but have never been approached by any LEO when leaving. Telling a Deputy to fuck off and mind their own business is totally warranted.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

https://gunshowtrader.com/gunshows/florida-gun-shows/

All Florida gun shows are listed here.
Patriot's next show that allow private sales is in Vero July 15/16
https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/ver ... -gun-show/

Description
There will be knife vendors, gun vendors, new guns, used guns, firearms dealers, used gun private sellers, ammo, firearm accessories, gear and more!
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

Normally, the online thing would appeal to me, but I'm 2 hours from any major city at this point. Don't want to meet up to sell a $150 shotgun. And I don't want to ship anything, or deal with a bunch of questions.

I moved and have 30-40 shotguns and rifles that don't fit in the safe. They're nothing special. I'd rather spend a day or two selling them off and walk away, than to drag the process out for a couple of months.

Something that just came to mind- does someone know a good auction house in Tampa, Orlando, or South Florida?
tector

Post by tector »

REDinFL wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:20 am Absolutely correct. Here in Pinellas, the Sheriff's Dept. announced a number of years ago that officers would check everyone they saw in the parking lot coming out with a gun. Idea being, if bought, was it via 4473 or private? You can guess the rest. But, the points are well taken, that the local officials placed burdens on the venues. I'll not impose my cynicism re: Suncoast/Florida Gunshows.
The private sales ban was in place in Miami (and FTL, when in existed) long before the current ownership of Florida Gunshows. And it has been in place in WPB for ages and that show is not owned at all by Florida Gunshows (in fact, SS does not even go there). So it really does arise in the big venues down here from other factors.

There used to be a small show down here where private sales were allowed but no ammo sales of any kind were permitted. I asked the owner about it--apparently many years before he had someone accidentally killed at his show by some idiot who loaded ammo into a weapon.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Yeah, the ban on private sales is why I have not gone to a show in many years. Same here in Kommie Mosquito County.

One thing that comes to mind is I have seen swap meets advertised on occasions at some ranges. But you usually have to be a member to sell. They are not very regular and are very sparsely attended. But you might luck out at a range near you.

I would just list them here in the BST forum and make it clear where you want to meet up near you. Beats all the BS at Gunbroker, etc.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

I can tell you Vero, Fort Pierce, PSL, Sebring, and Martin County gun shows still allow private sellers. Getting a table at one of them is another horse of a different color, they're frequently booked from a vendor standpoint and there's usually a waiting list. And as tector said, its usually not the promoter who is complicating it for private sellers...There is a wide range of issues, everything from insurance & prohibitation by the venue, complications because of city/county ordinances, and the attention it brings from private sellers who are basically just unlicensed dealers selling to anybody to make a buck. Not supporting a gunshow because they don't (or in most cases can't) allow private sales is punishing a promoter for something out of their control.

FWIW, I most of the time find much better deals even after the TAX & BGC being offered by the dealers...Most of the private sellers want more then new retail for whatever they're selling and are basically just catering to the no paperwork buyers/crowd.
Last edited by Molivo on Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.