Some interesting Range grade CMP 1911s coming through

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
Wakko

Some interesting Range grade CMP 1911s coming through

Post by Wakko »

So in case you're not following the CMP 1911 release, in rounds 1 and 2 they offered Service/Field/Rack. For round 3, they are offering Range grade, which are WW1/WW2 pistols that have been modified or upgraded in recent decades. At first, many people poo-pooed them, but then the question was raised "Who and why were they modified?" Logical answer is "Special forces." Sooooo, more folks started ordering them, and yep, they are potential gems. One guy got a US&S slide and lower, but has newer sights on it. Another guy got a 1916 (or 1914, I forget) Springfield that was a) modified by USMC to be an A1, and then modified again for use by SF. Others have gotten National Match pistols.

It's still a crap shoot, but in my opinion, it's a safer crap shoot. My wife put in for a Range, so I'm crossing my fingers for one with SF provenance.

George W

Post by George W »

I'd be really surprised if there isn't a lot of these out there. When I was in Germany, we were just starting to transition to the M9 and had a LOT of 1911s that were heavily modified. Different sights, grips, trigger work, etc. We were far from Special anything except maybe SpecialEd.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I'll never understand why people go nuts for CMP 1911 when all the ones I have seen look like trash.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Then you’ve not seen a lot. My family has a total of 6. 5 came from CMP directly, 1 came from an estate sale years ago. Two of them are gorgeous, one is the customized one, and the other three are simply well used examples. All are exactly how they left military service. No “correction” or parts replacement, and the only 1911s you can get with provenance these days.

If they ever open it up to folks to get a second, I’ll throw my credit card right back in that ring.