Anyone else getting spammed by Shoot Straight?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
George W

Anyone else getting spammed by Shoot Straight?

Post by George W »

I detest spam texts more than pretty much anything in this world, no matter who they come from. I took a vow to never buy from or vote for anyone that sends me a spam text that I didn't sign up for. It's rude, and since so much of my work is done via text when one comes in, I have to read it.

Last week, I started getting illegal spam texts from Shoot Straight for their "Anniversary." In them, it says that I signed up spam texts from them. I assuredly never have. I blocked the number, and got a another text from them the next day. I really hate that now I have to add them to my list of "Fuck Off" companies. One more illegal test from them, and I will file a claim against them as well.

If you own a company that uses text marketing, make sure that you can prove in court that the recipients of your spam actually opted in for them. Otherwise, you can lose $1500 for each spam text. I have successfully gotten a few thousand dollars over the years from companies that illegally spam me. There are, of course loopholes like how asshole politicians carved out a an exception for their spam, and certain charities can get away with it. Hire a lawyer to review your spam plan before just blasting.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

So, somewhere... somehow... you gave them your cell number?

I've done a fair amount of business (gun purchases) with Shoot Straight (and use their range). I've never gotten a single text from them. Because.... they don't have my phone number. Why would they need that? Why would I need that?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Did you ever go to one of their gun shows, & sign up to win the free gun door prize? If so, that put you on their list to receive the notifications. If not, I have no idea. GARY.
George W

Post by George W »

Nope, I never sign up for the door prizes. I have bought from them years ago, but I have never given consent (even in the fine print on a receipt) to receive spam texts. Just doing business with a company and supplying a phone number to be called when something is ready is NOT consent to spam. My eye doctor found this out the hard way with their constant harassment texts when I specifically opted out of their crap. It cost them $2k to settle with me.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

George W wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:54 pm Nope, I never sign up for the door prizes. I have bought from them years ago, but I have never given consent (even in the fine print on a receipt) to receive spam texts. Just doing business with a company and supplying a phone number to be called when something is ready is NOT consent to spam. My eye doctor found this out the hard way with their constant harassment texts when I specifically opted out of their crap. It cost them $2k to settle with me.
You must be a ball at parties. Oy! You sued your eye doctor for texting you?!?? Wow. That explains your first post, too. Me thinks you probably give your number out freely in HOPES of being "harassed."
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
George W

Post by George W »

Racer88 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:56 pm

You must be a ball at parties. Oy! You sued your eye doctor for texting you?!?? Wow. That explains your first post, too. Me thinks you probably give your number out freely in HOPES of being "harassed."
I got 73 texts and Robocalls after being asked to not get any more from them, with 52 of them being after getting their assurances in writing that they would end is a bit more than most would take. Each time, they were generated electronically so blocking did nothing. I got at least 20 calls after midnight.

No, I don't want to get any unwanted spam texts or calls. I even removed my number from the VA's database and Everbridge's outreach. Your Reply tells me that you're likely a telemarketer or work for a junk mail company.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

George W wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:19 pm Your Reply tells me that you're likely a telemarketer or work for a junk mail company.
Hahaha! Ummm... no.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I got the text and replied with STOP to end them.

Remember when their prices used to be good? They still apparently think it's May 2020.
tector

Post by tector »

I've gotten the occasional email from SS, but nothing approaching "spam" levels--just announcing a sale or a coupon for the Miami show. These are pretty infrequent. Other people (try to) send me two emails a day--they gone.

I just got a fantastic price from SS on a M&P M2.0 metal 9mm, so I really don't know what anybody is talking about on price. On new guns it's pretty impossible to get a lower price anywhere. Except for models already on steep sale, they will deal with you at a gun show for sure. In store may be different, since each store has its own management. At the show, however, you can always just talk to The Man. I really don't understand how anyone has issues with Khaled. I'm a pain in the ass myself and I have never had an issue dealing with him, so some of you must be REAL pricks :lol: .
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

tector wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:52 am I just got a fantastic price from SS on a M&P M2.0 metal 9mm, so I really don't know what anybody is talking about on price. On new guns it's pretty impossible to get a lower price anywhere. Except for models already on steep sale, they will deal with you at a gun show for sure. In store may be different, since each store has its own management. At the show, however, you can always just talk to The Man. I really don't understand how anyone has issues with Khaled. I'm a pain in the ass myself and I have never had an issue dealing with him, so some of you must be REAL pricks :lol: .
Here’s why. At most shows when I work at his tables, whether you’re looking to buy something, or not, I see you stopping by to say hello to Khaled. And he will always respond “Hey, how you doing buddy”. If you’re interested in making a purchase, I’ve seen you make reasonable offers, & he counter offers, & you settle somewhere in the middle. But I’ve seen people offer $100-$150 below his cost, & he gets insulted, & I don’t blame him. Everyone here should work a gun show to see how many a$$holes don’t want to pay tax on their purchase, & I ask them did they ask that at Walmart when they bought their last flat screen. So while you may be a pain in the ass, you’re respectful with your bargaining techniques, while many others are total a$$holes. GARY.