MAK90 Mod

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
Outgunu

MAK90 Mod

Post by Outgunu »

Do I still have to put a bunch of other parts in a MAK90 if I change it to normal grip and buttstock? I see a lot of stuff saying I need to, but it's all like 10 years old...
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Yes. To convert a sporting rifle to an "assault" rifle, it must be compliant with 922r regulations, and that means a minimum number of US manufactured parts. Most people use a muzzle brake, grip, FCG and a gas pistol, but you can get away with US made mags as well. Will the boys come and kill your dog because you are not 922r compliant? Doubtful, but still it's technically illegal. To me, leaving the Chinese FCG is important to keep the same feel of the Chinese rifle, but the other parts are inconsequential and easy to swap out.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Guess I'll just leave it alone, don't want to change out the FCG... I hoped that regs concerning the parts swap had sunseted. Thanks for the clarification!
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I converted mine years ago with US made stock, foregrip, pistol grip, and FCG total 6 parts. This AK does not have flash hider.
I'm thinking about putting the original FCG and just using it with Magpul AK magazines as magazines make up 3 parts...mag body, follower and floorplate.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

Wakko wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:02 pm Yes. To convert a sporting rifle to an "assault" rifle, it must be compliant with 922r regulations, and that means a minimum number of US manufactured parts. Most people use a muzzle brake, grip, FCG and a gas pistol, but you can get away with US made mags as well. Will the boys come and kill your dog because you are not 922r compliant? Doubtful, but still it's technically illegal. To me, leaving the Chinese FCG is important to keep the same feel of the Chinese rifle, but the other parts are inconsequential and easy to swap out.
You could always try a Choate Dragunov style stock. I had one on my MAK-90 for years and it's really good quality.
My posts kill threads.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Or, should the 922 squad come by just tell them that’s how you bought it, as that’s perfectly legal. These laws were put in place for importers like Century. Not someone who bought it that way. GARY.
MiamiOffshore

Post by MiamiOffshore »

rug357 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:06 pm This AK does not have flash hider.
Are you sure its not a thread cap thats been blind pinned?

Remember all the mak90's were pre 89 AWB's that were mod'd to bring them into compliance
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

MiamiOffshore wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:24 pm Are you sure its not a thread cap thats been blind pinned?

Remember all the mak90's were pre 89 AWB's that were mod'd to bring them into compliance
Not exactly. The initial run of Maks were converted, but then they were produced specifically as MAKs. The initial offers had a thread cap/protector that was tack welded in place. The original receiver markings were usually ground off and replaced with hand stenciled markings. After getting tooled up, later Maks came with the receiver rollmarked with MAK90 on it, and the muzzle ground down to a small diameter. There were a few that were not threaded and not ground down, and these are very easy to thread nowadays.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

OTOH, if you see photo’s of Chinese soldiers carrying their AK’s, there were no muzzle devices as the barrels were not threaded. They threaded the barrels on guns they exported to the US because they figured we wanted them. So on the 3 Chinese MAK’s I have where the previous owners got rid of the thumbhole stock, they did not thread the muzzle end, & I’m good with that as it’s more original looking. GARY.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

My only experience with a "real" AK is a Chinese milled bring back from Vietnam. Full auto, of course. While it was threaded, it had a thread protector and not the offset muzzle device that we're used to. Considering how much that puppy tried to climb up and to the right, that brake would likely have helped quite a bit.