Heads up! Price increase!!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Allme

Heads up! Price increase!!

Post by Allme »

Not really a gun topic but I know more than a few of you twist wrenches on your own vehicles.... Just looking out for my fellow gun nuts.

NOTICE!!!!! R134a, the common refrigerant in your car is going up... Wally World had them FOREVER for $5.33, was there to day and now they are $8.88... I bought a case and will probably go back and pick up another over the next day or so.... Summer is around the corner.... You have been warned!!!

N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

$hit, I still have cans that were $4.88. For that matter I still have a case of R-12 that I’ve had since 03. Maybe I’ll trade the R-12 for a nice gun. LOL. GARY
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Rural King is the place to buy that
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I'm not a mechanic, but I drive a car....

How many cans of "freon" do you have to go through before you decide to fix the leak in your A/C system? 🤔
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

til ya sell it ? :lol:
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

flcracker wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:50 pm I'm not a mechanic, but I drive a car....

How many cans of "freon" do you have to go through before you decide to fix the leak in your A/C system? 🤔
2 years ago they wanted $ 800 to fix the leak in my 05 truck, lots of parts and labor, they need to tear the dash apart .....so far Ive spent about $ 27 bucks in freon ....so :mrgreen:
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Thanks - I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I was truly wondering what the break-even was like. Mine blows cold, but the belt is starting to squeal when I accelerate from a stop. Belt & alternator are new, so I'm concerned it might be the compressor clutch.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

flcracker wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:19 am ... the belt is starting to squeal when I accelerate from a stop. Belt & alternator are new, so I'm concerned it might be the compressor clutch.
New belts stretch a bit. Check the belt tension. Typically a compressor clutch does not squeal, more likely the new belt slipping or possibly an idler or tensioner roller bearing.
gforester

Post by gforester »

Belt & alternator are new, so I'm concerned it might be the compressor clutch.
If it is a serpentine belt it likely has an automatic tensioner. If the spring in the tensioner gets weak the belt will slip and squeal. As Springfield said, it is unlikely to be the compressor clutch causing this.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Thanks for the advice! I talked to the mechanic that installed the alternator & belt who said he could "tighten it up a bit, but it's already tight".

Should I just let him "tighten it up a bit", or should I take it to someone who uses a belt tension gauge?