Ghost Guns?

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
P5 Guy

Ghost Guns?

Post by P5 Guy »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fe ... d=msedgntp

"Ghost guns are homemade firearms without serial numbers assembled from kits or materials sold without background checks, making them easily acquired by criminals who otherwise would not be permitted to possess a firearm and nearly impossible for law enforcement to track," the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Oregon said in a press statement.
"Criminals and others barred from owning a gun should not be able to exploit a loophole to evade background checks and to escape detection by law enforcement," Garland said in a press statement last year.

Selling drugs, making firearms, being a felon in procession of firearms, obviously this guy wasn't hard to find.
My question is how many guns found at crime scenes are traced and find an ILLEGAL owner.
Say a thug robs and shoots a clerk at the STOP&ROB and drops the gun in the trash while running off. How will tracing that gun find the thug?
Unless Mr/Mrs store robber bought the gun from an FFL with an uninterrupted sale chain tracing won't do a damned thing.
Yeah, I know it is people control they're after not keeping the WRONG people from owning guns.

How many crimes are solved by tracing crime scenes lead to arrests?
George W

Post by George W »

You just explained exactly what is really meant by "Universal Background Checks." They cannot exist without a registration system to fill the gaps in chain of custody.
Last edited by George W on Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

George W wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:05 pm You just explained exactly what is really meant by "Universal Background Checks." They cannot exists without a registration system to fill the gaps in chain of custody.
Granted, but I want to know how many crimes are solved by tracing a firearm? :?:
George W

Post by George W »

P5 Guy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:54 pm
George W wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:05 pm You just explained exactly what is really meant by "Universal Background Checks." They cannot exists without a registration system to fill the gaps in chain of custody.
Granted, but I want to know how many crimes are solved by tracing a firearm? :?:
Solved? I'd wager less than 1%. Helped to closed? Put me down for another .1%.

The only crime I recall ever being solved was a 50 or 60 y/o cold case in Texas. I believe a cop was murdered and somehow the gun shop still had a record decades later.

It's very rare, and the other side knows this. The want to close the "Ghost gun loophole" at the same time the go after alleged "Universal background checks." When these measures fail they'll say that registration will fix everything.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

What irks me about all this "Ghost Gun" thing is; Under current Federal Law, it is totally permissible for anyone to build a firearm for his/her own use, as long as they avoid NFA firearms.
I build my first firearm in eighth grade machine shop, back in the 1960's.
It is a target grade single shot pistol in 38 special. I still have it and occasionally still shoot it.
Since then, over the last almost 60 years, I've built dozens of firearms, and a few totally from scratch.
If you have access to a machine shop, and you know how to operate the machinery, you can build a firearm.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Gregg wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:49 am What irks me about all this "Ghost Gun" thing is; Under current Federal Law, it is totally permissible for anyone to build a firearm for his/her own use, as long as they avoid NFA firearms.
Apparently, the problem is too many of "us" (those NOT in the Ruling Class) are finding out about what rights we still have under (or in spite of) the laws "they" write. As more and more people exercise those rights, "they" feel their position threatened and decide "we" need to be reined in and reminded of our place in the system. The easiest way to do this is to capitalize on the ignorance of the majority by creating a boogeyman and scaring those commoners who still believe in their fake "news" that there's a crisis that must be addressed.

THAT's how you gain public support for restricting perfectly legal activity. Much easier and more effective than engaging in a debate on the facts, which they could never win.
avmech

Post by avmech »

Odessaman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:20 pm
Gregg wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:49 am What irks me about all this "Ghost Gun" thing is; Under current Federal Law, it is totally permissible for anyone to build a firearm for his/her own use, as long as they avoid NFA firearms.
Apparently, the problem is too many of "us" (those NOT in the Ruling Class) are finding out about what rights we still have under (or in spite of) the laws "they" write. As more and more people exercise those rights, "they" feel their position threatened and decide "we" need to be reined in and reminded of our place in the system. The easiest way to do this is to capitalize on the ignorance of the majority by creating a boogeyman and scaring those commoners who still believe in their fake "news" that there's a crisis that must be addressed.

THAT's how you gain public support for restricting perfectly legal activity. Much easier and more effective than engaging in a debate on the facts, which they could never win.
Most definitely 100% correct
I found an excellent gun control law we should all follow. It's called the Second Amendment.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I build my first firearm in eighth grade machine shop, back in the 1960's.
It is a target grade single shot pistol in 38 special. I still have it and occasionally still shoot it.
Since then, over the last almost 60 years, I've built dozens of firearms, and a few totally from scratch.
If you have access to a machine shop, and you know how to operate the machinery, you can build a firearm.
How many of these home built guns do you still own, & how many did you sell/were purchased by people who live on the wrong side of the tracks who could not pass a background check? GARY
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I still have in my possession every firearm I've ever built!
I don't build them to sell them, I build them as a hobby.
And it is totally legal under both Federal Law and Florida State Law.
OSD

Post by OSD »

Gregg wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:17 am I still have in my possession every firearm I've ever built!
I don't build them to sell them, I build them as a hobby.
And it is totally legal under both Federal Law and Florida State Law.
Very true. The problem is the people building them and selling them to people who can't build or buy guns legally. That's the guns they are finding, not legal built and owned ones.
Jim