Here's yer DST bitching thread (w/ WSJ update on efforts to reform)

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector

Here's yer DST bitching thread (w/ WSJ update on efforts to reform)

Post by tector »

Since these things are mandatory every March and November, I figured I get the ball rolling with an article about updated legislative efforts. It is from the Wall Street Journal, meaning paywalled, but I have violated that for your benefit.

Bottom line: if you want permanent DST, you'll need federal action. But if you want permanent standard time (a/k/a God's Time), your state can go it alone (as Arizona does).

https://archive.ph/qXSMo
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Do we really want to share the same time zone [Atlantic] as New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, & Prince Edward Island, & no other US states? GARY.
tector

Post by tector »

N4KVE wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:41 pm Do we really want to share the same time zone [Atlantic] as New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, & Prince Edward Island, & no other US states? GARY.
I have repeatedly said Congress is not allowing 5 (effective) time zones for the continental US. Too many business would not like it. Congress certainly has the power under the Commerce Clause (if not others) to control this. So there would have to be some kind of uniform move. But Florida could go year round standard time under current law. From March until November we'd be on the same time as CDT, except part of the Panhandle would be on the same time as MDT.

We'd essentially be like Arizona:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Arizona
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
tector

Post by tector »

tector wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:41 pm
N4KVE wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:41 pm Do we really want to share the same time zone [Atlantic] as New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, & Prince Edward Island, & no other US states? GARY.
I have repeatedly said Congress is not allowing 5 (effective) time zones for the continental US. Too many business would not like it. Congress certainly has the power under the Commerce Clause (if not others) to control this. So there would have to be some kind of uniform move. But Florida could go year round standard time under current law. From March until November we'd be on the same time as CDT, except part of the Panhandle would be on the same time as MDT.

We'd essentially be like Arizona:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Arizona
The Panhandle thing could also be handled (pun) by just making Florida all one time zone OR just have the Panhandle observe DST. Indiana used to have a solution like that until about 20 years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana
George W

Post by George W »

Georgia, SC, and Alabama have passed similar legislation to stay on DST, so if Congress approves, we wouldn't go it alone.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Yeah this time change suckkkksss. Plus the panhandle being an hour behind us. I forgot all about it till I saw this. :lol:
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

STANDARD TIME FULL TIME !!!
tector

Post by tector »

P5 Guy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:56 am STANDARD TIME FULL TIME !!!
You and me, brother.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

No DST was the greatest thing when I lived in Indiana. :lol:

But won't happen at the Federal level. You see the Kommies-in-Charge are too busy legislating policies to sink the USA and put Chi-Coms in charge. Improving policies is against their mandate. :twisted:

Well that and promoting BLM, by making sure as many babies as possible are aborted, mostly minority babies...
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I never understood the point of DST, though it seemed to be enacted as some dumb way to more productivity out of the work force during the winter and simplify paperwork so you wouldn't have to change employee shift starting times throughout the year.