Shooters World (Tampa) new range rules suck

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
flcracker

Shooters World (Tampa) new range rules suck

Post by flcracker »

I stopped in at Shooters World Tampa after driving up from Sarasota for my semi-annual dental cleaning.
I like to hit their range when I'm up there for some air-conditioned trigger time. Brought along a new 6.5 Grendel pistol/rifle combo to sight in.

First thing I noticed is that the rifle range fee has gone up to $30/hr. Plus, a $10/year range card for the privilege of paying the hourly rate. They had me in their system as already having a range card, but they said that the $10/yr fee is a new rule.

Next, I saw the sign that says no AR/AK pistols on the rifle range. It took three employees to confirm that a stamped AR SBR with a stock is allowed on the rifle range, but the same gun with an SB-3 pistol brace must be shot on the pistol range. "Sorry - it's a new rule." was their only explanation when I pointed out the glaring contradictory logic. Thankfully I brought along both a pistol upper and a rifle upper.

But wait - I get to my assigned lane and start to unpack when the RSO comes over to tell me that my steel cased ammo (Wolf) isn't allowed, because "Most of it comes from the Eastern Bloc, and you don't know what's in it.". I asked how many times they've ever heard of Wolf ammo blowing up a rifle, and was told "Sorry - that's the new rule.".

Although I brought along some high-end hunting ammo, I'm not wasting it on an initial sight-in on a brand new build. Back to the register to get my $40 refunded. When I pointed out that there are signs everywhere about many of their rules but there's nothing posted about steel cased ammo and that no-one ever mentioned the steel cased ammo prohibition until I was actually on the firing line, I got another "Sorry - it's a new rule.".

So much for shooting today.
Last edited by flcracker on Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
tector

Post by tector »

There has never been a single "new rule" at a range that ever favored the customer. If it is "new," it is usually the product of lawyers, insurance companies, or just naked greed, or some combination of these. New = sucks.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

That place has sucked since day 0ne.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

That is too bad. There is one near me here in Mosquito County in the hood and it was great for Air Conditioned plinking. Only place I can go anymore for full auto fun. They always want to see my ammo, so I bring in a box of (expensive) factory whatever that they sniff, but they never have looked at my loaded mags, at least not yet.

The other outdoor range I belong to is run by a guy that acts like the Gestapo but every year he is reelected. This year we had a big write in campaign to unseat him. One of the new rules there was no 50 BMG fun anymore. I only shot 50BMG there once as anything under 300 yards is a waste for 50BMG anyway - but that was just his latest edict.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

TC6969 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:50 pm That place has sucked since day 0ne.
Yep.... I've filled out less paperwork applying for a job than I have to shoot at their range.....

There are way too many better places to shoot than to have to deal with all their crap.... they cater to a specific "clientele"

They don't like steel cased ammo because they have to take the time to pick it out of the droppings.... which they claim are theirs when they hit the floor
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

Villafuego wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:02 pm
TC6969 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:50 pm That place has sucked since day 0ne.
Yep.... I've filled out less paperwork applying for a job than I have to shoot at their range.....

There are way too many better places to shoot than to have to deal with all their crap.... they cater to a specific "clientele"

They don't like steel cased ammo because they have to take the time to pick it out of the droppings.... which they claim are theirs when they hit the floor
I would never go through that amount of crap for range time, and if I did, I'd be collecting my own brass. Are they going to get handsy if you pick up your non standard caliber brass? I doubt it, but you'd probably be persona non grata there in the future.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

flcracker wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:35 pm Next, I saw the sign that says no AR/AK pistols on the rifle range. It took three employees to confirm that a stamped AR SBR with a stock is allowed on the rifle range, but the same gun with an SB-3 pistol brace must be shot on the pistol range. "Sorry - it's a new rule." was their only explanation when I pointed out the glaring contradictory logic.
But yet that same contradictory logic is why every brace owner claims their AR pistol is still a pistol when their brace is attached. So if they think their braced AR pistol should be allowed on the rifle range, then they won’t be upset when the ATF declares that braced AR pistols are SBR’s, & a stamp needs to be purchased. It doesn’t work both ways. GARY.
Off To The Races

Post by Off To The Races »

Lots of negatives listed, but $30 per hour to shoot paper and I'm out.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

There used to be a range in a double wide trailer out at the east end of Fletcher, or in that area.

I wonder if its still there.

That's where I went after I walked out of Shooters World.

Me and my buddy walked in and the guy said

What ya shooting?

Need any targets?

Have fun!
Casual

Post by Casual »

Well shit cliff let's hit Knights trail this weekend