3 day wait for rifle/shotgun purchase

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
JackieChan

3 day wait for rifle/shotgun purchase

Post by JackieChan »

So long story short I don't have my ccw anymore. I hadn't purchased a gun since 2013 or so and I decided to buy a ruger american. I found one at fge and bought it over the phone and drove down from the Jax Beach area to pick it up a couple days later. Whoops the law changed a few years ago and I had to wait for it. I checked out the statute and read section c. So I have a hunters safety card and called the shop and they said come pick it up. Then I get there they tell me I need a valid hunting license as well. From reading the law it states a person exempt from needing the hunters safety course(someone born before 1976 roughly) needs the valid hunting license. They call fdle and the person in the other end stated I needed the hunting license as well. I have the law and the fdle book excerpt below, you can see the fdle seems to be making some adjustments to the actual statute. Am I reading this wrong or what?

790.0655 Purchase and delivery of firearms; mandatory waiting period; exceptions; penalties.—
(2) The waiting period does not apply in the following circumstances:
(a) When a firearm is being purchased by a holder of a concealed weapons permit as defined in s. 790.06.
(b) To a trade-in of another firearm.
(c) To the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, upon a person’s successfully completing a minimum of a 16-hour hunter safety course and possessing a hunter safety certification card issued under s. 379.3581. A person who is exempt from the hunter safety course requirements under s. 379.3581 and holds a valid Florida hunting license is exempt from the mandatory waiting period under this section for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun.

FDLE FFL Handbook
Mandatory 3-day Waiting Period for Firearms F.S. 790.0655 requires a three working-day waiting period between the purchase at retail and delivery of all firearms. Exceptions to the three day waiting period are:
• When a firearm is being purchased by a holder of a valid concealed weapons permit as definded in s. 790.06
• The purchase of a rifle or shotgun upon a person’s successfully completing a minimum of a 16-hour hunter safety course and possessing a hunter safety certification card issued under s. 379.3581 and holds a valid Florida hunting license
• When a rifle or shotgun is being purchased by a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or a servicemember
• The trade of another firearm
JackieChan

Post by JackieChan »

I wrote an email to Jon Gutmacher and he replied quickly. Below is his reply.
you missed why they screwed up: (c) To the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, upon a person’s successfully completing a minimum of a 16-hour hunter safety course and possessing a hunter safety certification card issued under s. 379.3581. A person who is exempt from the hunter safety course requirements under s. 379.3581 and holds a valid Florida hunting license is exempt from the mandatory waiting period under this section for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun.
They mistakenly merged together folks who qualify for a hunting license and have one without the hunter safety card - and those who have the card.

I went ahead and sent an inquiry into the FDLE to see if they had a valid reason for the handbook. JIC I want everyone to know I'm not suicidal🤣🤣