FSN fundraising/membership?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
flcracker

FSN fundraising/membership?

Post by flcracker »

I'm thinking that we really need to get serious about financing an upgrade to the site. I'm totally ready for a fundraiser and/or membership fees.

Any chance that our site owner might be amenable to a change to a more financially sustainable business model? Industry sponsors, banner ads, etc.?
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

flcracker wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:46 pm I'm thinking that we really need to get serious about financing an upgrade to the site. I'm totally ready for a fundraiser and/or membership fees.

Any chance that our site owner might be amenable to a change to a more financially sustainable business model? Industry sponsors, banner ads, etc.?
You are definitely right. It is time. I am open to all suggestions though I am not the owner. I have been thinking lately that gun forums are the target of the libs. Epik.com has been friendly to gun stuff and we already moved our domain name from GoDaddy to Epik.

Epik has friendly hosting for us. Nobody will try to cancel us there. The bronze plan would be enough for FSN. It is $9.99 or $107.88 per year or $1438.56 for a forever plan. ( https://www.epik.com/hosting/ )

Of course, this is my plan and answer to your question, but it is open to discussion. Just tell us your ideas.

As for the ads, There is a plugin for banners, but I am no commercial. I won't be the one looking for the customers.

ETA: The forum script can also be changed to something better also if needed. Plenty of choices out there.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Does anyone have a direct line of communication with the site owner? I had his contact info at one point, but have lost it. I never discussed site operations with him.
Last edited by flcracker on Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

flcracker wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:38 pm Does anyone have a direct line of communication with the site owner? I had his contact info at point point, but have never discussed site operations with him.
I do.

ETA: I stickied this topic to the top.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Just wondering if he has an opinion/position on what could be done to upgrade the site.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

He's always been flexible (owner) as far back as can I remember,'08-09 as long as it was done properly...

Also there are numerous people who use the BST quite a bit,start donations from the BST ..
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

flcracker wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:42 pm Just wondering if he has an opinion/position on what could be done to upgrade the site.
As far as I know, he doesn’t want the site to be a disgrace and a money pit. We’re allowed to do pretty much anything we want as long as the site stays tasteful and on point. Let’s bring the ideas and I’ll help by giving you the possible options on the technical site.
Wizard78

Post by Wizard78 »

How many members do we have?
Let's start small and see what we get.
Say $10 per member to try and reach "forever" status?
Maybe like once before, members who have donated get a Star or something next to their name? :D
"Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."
George W

Post by George W »

I have been here since the very beginning (2000, 2001?) and have watched FSN rise and fall. It really does need a major overhaul, and I will gladly contribute. I too think the "Forever" plan is the one to shoot for.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Lets have an auction!

I'll throw in a nice knife.