Gun safes - recommendations

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
cal45

Gun safes - recommendations

Post by cal45 »

Just started looking into these an I know the prices can go through the roof depending on how high end you go.

As I do not have a huge arsenal, I only plan to have about 4 long guns, and maybe up to 10 hand guns. Would like a shelf and a drawer or two for jewelry and important docs. Ideally, would like to have it fit in a bedroom closet, so height is a concern (probably under 6ft).

Can anyone recommend a few names/models to check out?

Appreciate any help as I literally just starting looking into these today.
Casual

Post by Casual »

CE safes ft myers
cal45

Post by cal45 »

Casual wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:35 pm CE safes ft myers
Thanks but not looking for safe sellers, looking for safe makes/models that fellow members may have recommendations on based on their experience.
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

As you stated there are so many variables, that being said my first safe was a 5 foot tall by 20 something by 20 something inches closet sized 325 (?) pound Liberty safe without any fire proofing.
Bolted to the concrete slab.
Kept my young kid from accessing my weapons.
I have no recollection as to the exact model name/number https://www.libertysafe.com/.
Around 12 yrs ago I moved up to a larger, heavier, fire resistant Sturdy Safe, it isn't pretty, no fancy interior carpeting or string lights, back when I bought they all had a more of a 1950's Russian industrial chic look, it appears they are upping their game to appeal to a broader market.
https://www.sturdysafe.com/
cal45

Post by cal45 »

Thanks, Jeeps - I did come across Liberty in my initial search.
That said, my main priority is keeping them safe from access from the kids/grand kids/guests.
George W

Post by George W »

Liberty makes great stuff at decent prices. My comment is about size. Find a safe that will hold everything you have plus everything you can imagine owning.... then find a model twice its size. They tend to shrink when you get them home. Buy once, cry once.
cal45

Post by cal45 »

George W wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:36 pm Liberty makes great stuff at decent prices. My comment is about size. Find a safe that will hold everything you have plus everything you can imagine owning.... then find a model twice its size. They tend to shrink when you get them home. Buy once, cry once.
Thanks - excellent advice
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

To add to Georges comment which is correct btw as they really do seem to shrink when in actual use, try to skip past the electronic keypads and get one with a dial instead to open.
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

I bought a Sturdy Safe years ago and it has been great. Sorta no frills, but thick metal and tight tolerances. Always buy bigger than what you need, as the advertised capacity is always more than what really fits, especially if you have rifles with accessories.
gforester

Post by gforester »

Buying a safe is like buying a tool box. You want to buy one that you will grow into, not grow out of.