What’s with all the PayPal friends & family sales?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
N4KVE

What’s with all the PayPal friends & family sales?

Post by N4KVE »

I notice on this forum, & other gun forums that sellers are demanding any PayPal sales be friends, & family? WTF??? Then what protection does the buyer have when the seller doesn’t ship the item? On the electronics for sale sites, the rules are the sale MUST go through as a commercial sale to protect the buyer from low life scumbags who are out there to rip off people. Several times I have sent an extra few bucks to cover the seller’s fee’s, but unless you know the seller from previous deals, someone would have to be brain dead to send a total stranger any $ with friends, & family. So what’s up with that? GARY
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Friends and family don't pay a commission. But if you get caught doing commercial stuff and not paying, they'll close your account and keep all the money.

At the same time, Paypal is anti-gun. They will unleash hell on you if they find out that you pay for gun-related things.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

^^^^ Exactly.

Do not use PayPal under any circumstances for gun related items. There is an outfit that will handle gun transactions, but I don't recall offhand the name. Maybe look on Gunbroker.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
photohause

Post by photohause »

Stoped using PP long ago. I ask for USPS Money Orders...if they don't want to play my way, good buy.
Last edited by photohause on Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I used to be anti PayPal, & send $ orders until one time where I hit buy it now, but the seller was going out of town for 2 weeks the next day. So I could have mailed the money order, & waited almost 3 weeks to get the item. So I paid with PayPal, & he mailed the item before he went on vacation. And many times I have purchased gun parts off E-Bay, & paid for them with PayPal. I guess their ban is for complete guns. But again, in today’s world of on line scumbags, who would send $ friends, & family to a total stranger? You can make more $ ripping off people with on line thievery, vs robbing a 7-11, & it’s much safer. GARY.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

N4KVE wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:29 pm But again, in today’s world of on line scumbags, who would send $ friends, & family to a total stranger? You can make more $ ripping off people with on line thievery, vs robbing a 7-11, & it’s much safer. GARY.
I'll do it F&F if its an amount I'm comfortable losing.

Or if its someone / somewhere with a decent iTrader system and the person has a decent history of following through on stuff.

I use Zelle for gun stuff sometimes, thats considerably more scary than PP in my opinion. There is zero recourse if you get scammed, or type the recipients email wrong...

I prefer to do it all with the fees though. Just fold them into the price of the listing.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

That is one of the reasons I use FSN,some people who I've never dealt with here I would still send payment. One time I packed up an old .357,marked it as M/C parts and sent it to Clearwater thru the post office,LOL
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I HATE PP because they are anti. Also, my experience with their dispute process, except for one time, was abysmal. You have to wait weeks to go through their process with trying to contact the seller for resolution. And if you call PP, you get Habib in India. Never helpful. I try to use a credit-card through PP and when I dispute using that, resolution is fast and PP throws up their hands.

However, that being said, sometimes when I am buying used car parts from individuals, PP is the only thing the seller will accept. The sellers usually want me to use F & F with no recourse as they don't want PP to get their outrageous cut either. But like here, I can see the seller's track record on the car forum.

Funny thing is I see GB now accepts PP, but GB states clear PP anti terms of service? So why do they bother? I guess maybe GB now sells jerky like the Gun Shows do and people pay for their Jerky with PP?
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

If I sell something I ask PP or PPF&F. If you trust me save 4% if you don't pay the extra 4%

I will not pay anyone with a MO. I am not driving somewhere to hand over cash then send it where it can be stolen and be bothered playing games.

I will offer a personal check and if not don't need it bad enough to care

Here is the thing. a personal check is the safest way for both parties. A cashier check can be reversed up to 2 years after released and a MO can be disputed as well.
Once a personal check has cleared it is a done deal for both parties. Seller has his money, buyer can't be screwed (by later games)

Depending on the forum if I have dealt with someone or have seen them on the forum for years I am OK with PPF&F and in hundreds of deals I have not been screwed over.
Not yet