OK to move BCG between two AR’s?

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
N4KVE

OK to move BCG between two AR’s?

Post by N4KVE »

So I have a few AR pistols in 223/556. I’d like to get a 300 Blackout pistol upper, but can I use one of the BCG’s out of my other gun? I realize the BCG’s are the same, but is it OK to move the BCG back, & forth between two different guns? Do the lugs get mated to the barrels, or not? The guns get very little use if that matters. GARY.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

If you're buying/building a new 300BLK upper, a new bolt is less than $50. Cheap peace of mind. Alternatively, buy a set of Go-NoGo gauges for about the same price.

You would likely not have any issues swapping back and forth between uppers if all the parts are lightly used. But the only way to be sure is with gauges. Mating a new bolt to a new barrel "should" be good to go, but there's always the chance of an improperly reamed chamber.

Personally, I dedicate a BCG to every upper I build, and they all get checked with Clymer gauges.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I remember watching one of the Pat McNamara vids and he was telling the Army guys in a training course that swapping bolts and/or BCG's was totally fine and common in the field, expected in combat ops, and showed swapping parts including BCGs during live fire exercises in some of the videos.
George W

Post by George W »

rentprop1 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:55 pm I remember watching one of the Pat McNamara vids and he was telling the Army guys in a training course that swapping bolts and/or BCG's was totally fine and common in the field, expected in combat ops, and showed swapping parts including BCGs during live fire exercises in some of the videos.
We used to dump an entire platoon's M16 parts in a large ultrasonic cleaner. The odds of getting "your" bcg back was near zero. Never had an issue that I witnessed.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

I've done it. Never an issue.