Drones with monitor and SD

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wulfmann

Drones with monitor and SD

Post by Wulfmann »

Most drones require a cell phone. I don't have a cell

What are some decent drones that come with a monitor in the kit and an SD chip to record and/or take stills?

I have zero knowledge about drones
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Don't know if Limestonecowboy is still around,think that was his name,he brought his drone and flew the farm for my real estate agent and got awesome pic's,with the type set up you want. Maybe Flcracker knows how to get ahold of him if nobody else chimes in. He could point ya in the right direction.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
tector

Post by tector »

Can't you just get a cheap burner phone exclusively for this purpose?
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

tector wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:40 pm Can't you just get a cheap burner phone exclusively for this purpose?
Perhaps but I would then pay a monthly fee to use a drone?

I would test it, put it away for that one or 2 times I might use it and again pay a monthly fee?
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

depends on your budget, i have several DJI drones and a
Smart Controller with built in display. this eliminates the
need for a phone and allows you to launch the drone in
less than 30 seconds. the Smart Controller is $750 plus
the price of the drone.

you can also use a tablet with the standard remote
with the help of a larger bracket from Amazon. the
iPad mini 5 and mini 6 seem to work the best.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Bladesmith2000

Post by Bladesmith2000 »

I’m not certain, but I don’t believe that cellular service is necessary for a phone to work with a drone. You basically Bluetooth the phone to the drone controller to utilize it as the screen and the controller interfaces with the drone via radio frequency/WiFi to communicate. I would think that any functional phone, even without cellular service would be capable of capturing video and acting as a video monitor. Check out the specifications of the drone you are interested in, but DJI ( I know…Chinese) doesn’t seem to require any cellular capabilities.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

cellular service is absolutely not required, the phone
is acting as a monitor.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

actually although cell service is not required to fly the
drone, you may need a working phone if you're trying
to fly in a blue zone or restricted area like near an
airport.

DJI will send you a code via text and you input that
number into the fly app.

always good to check with an app like B4UFLY before
trying to take off.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Excuse my ignorance but doesn't the phone have to be a working phone to download the ap at least for that?
Then if I used a phone with no service I could use it with my WiFi but no where else?

The rep for the drone I bought said it could not be flown using my laptop as a monitor as I needed a phone to get the ap and it could not be downloaded to a computer.
Now, that does not mean the rep knew what they were talking about but how would I know.
They said this was a common problem and main reason for drones being returned, buyers who did not have a cell phone
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

Wulfmann wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:25 pm Excuse my ignorance but doesn't the phone have to be a working phone to download the ap at least for that?
Then if I used a phone with no service I could use it with my WiFi but no where else?

The rep for the drone I bought said it could not be flown using my laptop as a monitor as I needed a phone to get the ap and it could not be downloaded to a computer.
Now, that does not mean the rep knew what they were talking about but how would I know.
They said this was a common problem and main reason for drones being returned, buyers who did not have a cell phone

Just connect the phone to wifi.