INFO WANTED: Colt Police Positive .38 special

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
ripnbang

INFO WANTED: Colt Police Positive .38 special

Post by ripnbang »

I have recently purchased a Colt Police Positive .38 special revolver for historical/sentimental value (my wife's grandfather was a Buffalo, NY PD police officer back in early to mid 1900's). The one I purchased is marked St L PD No. 563...I'm assuming for St. Louis P? According to the Colt S/N lookup it was made in 1910. Looks like in pretty good condition considering the age. Anyone have any knowledge/background info on the revolver? Is it possible to contact the police department and perhaps get the officer(s) it was assigned to and date range? Or would I be better starting with Colt, first?

Thank you.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Colt will tell you that is was sold to Buffalo, as that’s all they know. While I doubt Buffalo will still have records from that far back, even if they did, due to current privacy laws, they won’t tell you anything. I do remember seeing some LE guns SS took in where the officer’s name was dymo taped to the gun. Looked pretty cheesy though. GARY
ripnbang

Post by ripnbang »

Thanks for the reply. Didn't consider privacy issues...I'll reach out and see what I can find.