2 bucks within 3 minutes, one with rifle, one with pistol

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lilwoody

2 bucks within 3 minutes, one with rifle, one with pistol

Post by lilwoody »

[

I was set up on a beat down trail that crossed a old logging road on the back corner of my property in we stern NC. I hadn't planned on hunting it, I was going to be on a flat over a big holler so I had my 300 winmag and not my open sighted 308 carbine. Well Isince it was the first day of season decided to sit for a couple of hours a see what walked by. I had my EDC 357 so I figured I'd just use that if a nice freezer doe crossed close.
Well after two hours of sitting a doe did cross but further than I was comfortable with the pistol. So i picked up the rifle and let one fly at the doe. Instead of hitting the doe I hit a sapling and she trotted f. A minute later I saw antlers coming from where the doe did and this time I picked a good shooting lane and when the 8 points brisket got in the cross hairs let another go and down he went. He mad a stumble over the edge of the road and piled up on a small ledge. He quit kicking in seconds so I gave him a minute to settle and walked down to take a look. 
As I'm standing about 15 feet from him I hear a slight rustle to my left. Whe i turn my head and look there, 10 feet from me stands the largest buck I've ever seen within shooting distance, but 10 feet is more like knife fight distance. He was in such raging rut he was looking at the 8 point too.
Well i did the only thing i could do. I pulled my pistol from under my jacket and it was only then did the big boy realize i was there. He took two bounds to the other side of the roa and as I cocked the pistol he stopped. I put a 158 grain Speer jhp with a max charge of H110 right in the fold of his shoulder and he dropped like he was struck by lightning. 
When I went back up to gather my rifle and gear, I had to sit down for a while to realize what just happened. This was the most amazing hunt I've ever done and there is no way it will be replicated.
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

That's quite a story. Congrats and enjoy the venison :D
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Nicely done. Rut can make deer do some interesting things. Kind of like high school and college age males.
Lol
cj5mrt

Post by cj5mrt »

Congratulations!
photohause

Post by photohause »

I had to sit down for a while to realize what just happened.

Too funny Woody. Congrats. Great story.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Congrats!