20ga or 28ga Semi Auto Shotgun Recommendation

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

20ga or 28ga Semi Auto Shotgun Recommendation

Post by armedpolak »

Took my 13yo son skeet shooting today for the first time and we rented a 20ga semi auto Beretta. He's now in love with skeet and wants a 20ga or 28ga semi-auto shotgun. The Beretta we rented is stupid expensive. Can you recommend a reasonably priced gun that's also not full size like a 12ga?

EDIT TO ADD: 28ga is also fine.
Last edited by armedpolak on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

was it skeet shootin' ,LOL
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

TonyR wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:00 pm was it skeet shootin' ,LOL
I'm an immigrant :P corrected...
TheSurvivalist

Post by TheSurvivalist »

I like 28g also but it seems 20g ammo is cheaper and more plentiful, for the most part.

You didn't really say how much you wanted to spend so....

As far as guns, if you don't want to spend 600+ on a Beretta A300 then maybe a used one might be an option, or maybe a used Franchi. I'd hate to recommend a Turkish made Stoeger but people seem to like them. Winchester makes a few also, but they are also made in Turkey. Seems to be a bunch of other brands also made in Turkey that are pretty cheap. I'd look at used Mossbergs and Remingtons as well.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

How tall is your son? If 13, he probably has some growing left to do. I bought a used youth 1100 for my kids when they were smaller, came w a shorter barrel, light weight 20 gauge. Has gotten a lot of use with little in the way of maintenance or problems.

I also have a Remington 1187 in 20 gauge. Functions fine and is a cost effective solution.

I shoot a berreta A400 in 20 gauge 4 times a month and love it but they are pricey unless you are going to use it a lot.

20 gauge is as cost effective as 12 and has a very similar shot pattern. If you go to 28ga, your coat of ammo doubles or triples and your hit count will go down significantly- it is a lot more fun shooting clays when you are hitting them.
jimmac

Post by jimmac »

My son and daughter 12 & 13 were shooting trap with a Remington 1100 12 Gauge, the auto loader hardly had any kick, I did have the stock shortened a couple inches, but other than that, strictly stock.
If you are reloading, only one size to reload. I never reduced the loads for the kids.
Let them try a 12 ga 1100
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, add a bag of Doritos, and we have a picnic.
It's a beautiful day, watch some idiot come along and screw it up.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER, RETIRED FIRE LIEUTENANT. FORMER AUX POLICE OFFICER, FORMER POLICE COMMISSIONER