New Ruger LCP Max

Pistols of all descriptions.
Deputydave

New Ruger LCP Max

Post by Deputydave »

Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

Excellent review, looks like Ruger has a real nice 380. Thanks for sharing.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Interesting. It seems to be a higher capacity LCP. Not LCP2. The original LCP has a hammer. The LCP2 is striker fired. Many times while at the show, & a woman picks up a LCP, she can’t rack the slide, as it’s pulling back on the hammer also. But that same woman has no problem racking the LCP2. So I found it interesting that the new Max has a hammer like the original LCP. Wonder why? GARY.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

N4KVE wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:26 am Interesting. It seems to be a higher capacity LCP. Not LCP2. The original LCP has a hammer. The LCP2 is striker fired. Many times while at the show, & a woman picks up a LCP, she can’t rack the slide, as it’s pulling back on the hammer also. But that same woman has no problem racking the LCP2. So I found it interesting that the new Max has a hammer like the original LCP. Wonder why? GARY.
The LCP II is also hammer-fired. It's the same as the Max.

Okay, I pulled out the scale. My LCP II with 7-round mag + 1 in the chamber + an additional 5 rounds (to simulate the Max with a 12-round mag) weighs 14.8 ounces. Sootch00 weighed the Max and it was 0.4 ounces heavier than the LCP II so figure the Max with 12-round mag will be approx. 15.3 ounces. I weighed my P365 w/12-round mag and TLR-6 weighs 24.9 ounces. Subtract the weight of the TLR-6 (1.12 ounces) and you've got approx. 23.8 ounces (rounded up). So a difference of 8.5 ounces in this configuration. That's pretty substantial in the pocket (or anywhere really). In the 10-round configuration for both it would be about the same I'd imagine.

So 0.19 inches thinner, 8 ounces lighter and a bit less tall/long. Small differences but in the pocket it really adds up.

Grabagun already has them for $399. Price already coming down from MSRP.

Gets more and more interesting and appealing

Size comparisons with the P365.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/rug ... sauer-p365
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Wow, didn’t know that. I wonder why the LCP2 is so much easier for some women to rack the slide vs the original LCP? When handling both versions, it’s easy to see the hammer on the back of the LCP, but I never saw one on the 2. Of course I never took one apart to look for it. GARY
wsitgm

Post by wsitgm »

N4KVE wrote:Interesting. It seems to be a higher capacity LCP. Not LCP2. The original LCP has a hammer. The LCP2 is striker fired. Many times while at the show, & a woman picks up a LCP, she can’t rack the slide, as it’s pulling back on the hammer also. But that same woman has no problem racking the LCP2. So I found it interesting that the new Max has a hammer like the original LCP. Wonder why? GARY.
Well for one thing, the LCPII in both calibers are hammer not striker...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Yes, there's a hammer in there. If you look in the back of a 2 you can see it: It's just not flush with the rear of the slide as one would expect.

That's a lot of weight for the Max. The lightness, so that it doesn't cause the pocket to jiggle a lot, is the big plus of my 2. While it doesn't really bulge significantly more than the 2 , my PM9 bounces the pocket. I imagine the Max is about the same.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
wsitgm

Post by wsitgm »

I paint the top of the hammer with bright white enamel so you can see it moving south as the trigger is about to break. Also True on the biggest LCP also known as the Security 9.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

N4KVE wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:39 pm Wow, didn’t know that. I wonder why the LCP2 is so much easier for some women to rack the slide vs the original LCP? When handling both versions, it’s easy to see the hammer on the back of the LCP, but I never saw one on the 2. Of course I never took one apart to look for it. GARY
I originally thought it was a striker pistol as well. Looking at the 2 trigger gives that impression. When the slide is racked on the 2 the hammer lays flat in the fully cocked position. So the 2 really is kinda 'single action' in some regards. You really have to look at the rear of the 2 when it's racked to see the tiny hammer laying flat.

The LCP always had a sort of 'pause' when racking the slide to get 'over' the barrel shroud. That's where a lot of woman had an issue. The 2 removed that bit of 'catch' to make it smoother through the full pull.

:)
REDinFL wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:03 pm That's a lot of weight for the Max.
Figure the Max at 15.3 ounces fully loaded with a 12 round mag. The 10-round mag would come in lighter of course. My LCP II with 7-round mag and one in the chamber is 12.9 ounces. Figure 2.4 ounces difference going from 8 rounds to 13 rounds. Or a bit less of a difference going to 11 total rounds.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

Deputydave wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:23 pm
N4KVE wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:26 am Interesting. It seems to be a higher capacity LCP. Not LCP2. The original LCP has a hammer. The LCP2 is striker fired. Many times while at the show, & a woman picks up a LCP, she can’t rack the slide, as it’s pulling back on the hammer also. But that same woman has no problem racking the LCP2. So I found it interesting that the new Max has a hammer like the original LCP. Wonder why? GARY.
The LCP II is also hammer-fired. It's the same as the Max.

Okay, I pulled out the scale. My LCP II with 7-round mag + 1 in the chamber + an additional 5 rounds (to simulate the Max with a 12-round mag) weighs 14.8 ounces. Sootch00 weighed the Max and it was 0.4 ounces heavier than the LCP II so figure the Max with 12-round mag will be approx. 15.3 ounces. I weighed my P365 w/12-round mag and TLR-6 weighs 24.9 ounces. Subtract the weight of the TLR-6 (1.12 ounces) and you've got approx. 23.8 ounces (rounded up). So a difference of 8.5 ounces in this configuration. That's pretty substantial in the pocket (or anywhere really). In the 10-round configuration for both it would be about the same I'd imagine.

So 0.19 inches thinner, 8 ounces lighter and a bit less tall/long. Small differences but in the pocket it really adds up.

Grabagun already has them for $399. Price already coming down from MSRP.

Gets more and more interesting and appealing

Size comparisons with the P365.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/rug ... sauer-p365
Yeah but GrabaGun doesn’t have any.