Need a mover who will accommodate our guns?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ger42

Need a mover who will accommodate our guns?

Post by Ger42 »

National Van Lines give me no hassle listed every gun I was putting in my safe put a warning tape across the door. Covered under the replacement value ins I bought. Others told me no guns or said put in safe don't tell anyone which meant if they came up missing no ins money. $450 for replacement value up to $45,000 not great but better than $1,200 for $1,500 deductible others were selling,
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Very wise choice on the insurance. Thanks for the info.
R/Griff
jimmac

Post by jimmac »

Has anyone tried PODS for moving, You pack the POD and they deliver it to a forwarding address. Supposedly they never handle or see the contents.
Just asking.
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, add a bag of Doritos, and we have a picnic.
It's a beautiful day, watch some idiot come along and screw it up.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER, RETIRED FIRE LIEUTENANT. FORMER AUX POLICE OFFICER, FORMER POLICE COMMISSIONER
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

My brother used PODS when he moved from Melbourne up to Georgia.
Very handy. You tell them when to drop it off and when to pick it up.
Pack it at your own pace. They dropped his off at his new place close
enough to the garage that we could unpack it in the rain without getting wet.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

jimmac wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:14 pm Has anyone tried PODS for moving, You pack the POD and they deliver it to a forwarding address. Supposedly they never handle or see the contents.
Just asking.
I used PODS (partially) for my move from NJ to FL. Logistically, it works very well, and as advertised. However, you need to learn how to be a packing expert. Make sure everything that's "assembled" (think "IKEA furniture") is disaseembled prior to moving... and in a way where you can re-assemble it at the destination. Otherwise, it can break and split apart during transport. That happened to a couple of dresser drawer units I had. Disassembly also reduces volume in the POD and let's you pack in more in them. Make sure everything is padded and positioned to keep the weight off of it. I had a floor high lantern ruined because I (stupidly) chose to let it stand upright,even though I had it padded. The weight just crumpled it at one of the joints due to the vibrations/potholes, etc.. I'll fix it a little later.

With that caveat, I'd go ahead and recommend PODS. They come to your house to drop off the POD (will fit in a standard 2-car driveway). You pack it, and you lock it. They come pick it up and ship it to your destination, where they store it until you're ready for delivery. Then the process reverses. You can have as many PODS as you need... More than likely, one at a time since that's all that will fit in your driveway (unless you have a supersized driveway).
jimmac

Post by jimmac »

Does PODS have any problem with handling the tools of our mutual hobbies?
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, add a bag of Doritos, and we have a picnic.
It's a beautiful day, watch some idiot come along and screw it up.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER, RETIRED FIRE LIEUTENANT. FORMER AUX POLICE OFFICER, FORMER POLICE COMMISSIONER
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

jimmac wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:29 pm Does PODS have any problem with handling the tools of our mutual hobbies?
In essence, they won't know about it. Remember, they drop off the pod, you fill it, and then you lock it with your own lock. They won't know what's in it. They bring it to your destination with your lock on it. You unlock it, empty it and turn the empty pod back to them. As long as you pack the pod properly, they'll have no idea what's in it.

Now, I'm sure their rules prohibit the transport/storage of explosives, powder, ammo, etc. etc. Remember, they have to store those pods in a climate controlled warehouse, so there's always that risk. That said, I seriously doubt they'll have explosive sniffing dogs checking the pods, but one never knows. Even so, you could probably probably transport the firearms in the pod. The only thing is whether or not you have the proper insurance if the pod is lost, falls off the truck, etc. etc. PODS' insurance may not cover firearms or ammo. I'd check into a separate insurance policy.
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Don't think I'd trust ANY moving company with my "family members" :D unless I was riding shotgun or following close behind! They'd be riding with me, even If I had to rent a van!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

GunsandHoses wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:11 am Don't think I'd trust ANY moving company with my "family members" :D unless I was riding shotgun or following close behind! They'd be riding with me, even If I had to rent a van!
^^^^^ This. Neither my "inventory" nor my computer and networking equipment. Both come with me. AFAIC, I don't consider myself "moved" unless/until both are where I currently am.
Ger42

Post by Ger42 »

I had all my powder, primers, ammo, our iMac, wife's work computer, 2 dogs and 2 cats along 4 pistols, 1 shotgun, food and clothes for 7 days. My long guns went into safe. Almost forgot 6 of my wife's orchids.

FfNJGTFO wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:44 am
GunsandHoses wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:11 am Don't think I'd trust ANY moving company with my "family members" :D unless I was riding shotgun or following close behind! They'd be riding with me, even If I had to rent a van!
^^^^^ This. Neither my "inventory" nor my computer and networking equipment. Both come with me. AFAIC, I don't consider myself "moved" unless/until both are where I currently am.