Tapatalk

Questions regarding any FSN board problems. This is NOT a firearms "help" forum.
Legio
Site Admin

Tapatalk

Post by Legio »

I may stop the Tapatalk service. The forum skin is responsive and works perfectly on phones.

What say you, Tapatalk users?
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

I'm not one, so it really doesn't matter to me. But one thing I do know you can do with Tapatalk that is more difficult with the bare forum software is upload pics/video. I realize that's controversial with forum owners/admins, but it does help members to be able to do that at times. And it's easier to upload directly than have to post the pic on Imgur or something (which, these days, are deleting 2A pics as violating their terms of service), and then linking to that image on Imgur (or other such service).

Perhaps there could be some kind of agreement that the directly uploaded picture/video gets taken off the server (or, perhaps, "archived"). after a period of time (I'd say 6 mos), in order to help cut down on server space usage. If it were needed after the 6 mos., then it could be retrieved off the "archive" for a short period of time. I realize it's hard to manage space, but it's kinda important for us to be able to upload pics/videos, if only for a short period of time.

Thoughts?
TACC

Post by TACC »

Tapatalk seems to be working fine

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:34 am I'm not one, so it really doesn't matter to me. But one thing I do know you can do with Tapatalk that is more difficult with the bare forum software is upload pics/video. I realize that's controversial with forum owners/admins, but it does help members to be able to do that at times. And it's easier to upload directly than have to post the pic on Imgur or something (which, these days, are deleting 2A pics as violating their terms of service), and then linking to that image on Imgur (or other such service).

Perhaps there could be some kind of agreement that the directly uploaded picture/video gets taken off the server (or, perhaps, "archived"). after a period of time (I'd say 6 mos), in order to help cut down on server space usage. If it were needed after the 6 mos., then it could be retrieved off the "archive" for a short period of time. I realize it's hard to manage space, but it's kinda important for us to be able to upload pics/videos, if only for a short period of time.

Thoughts?
Well, this is is an interesting question.

Let's assume that we have a supercomputer with a lot of disk space and no bandwidth restrictions, then yes. No problems. It would solve the dead link problem that we have on more than a few posts and it would be easy for everybody.

Now, we don't have a supercomputer and disk space is somewhat limited but have no bandwidth troubles for now. I could open it with limited size files. It still won't hold all the pictures and all the videos that you guys want to uploads. But if as you say, I remove the files every 6 months, then I am going to end up with even more blank space holders.

If you want to discuss this further, lets create a special topic in the Help forum.

Just FYI, we now a fairly old server with an old AMD processor and 4gb RAM. It's been running non stop since 2011. I just changed the hard drive to an 1to SSD. It is hidden in a back room with a direct fiber connection.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

With this new service, Tapatalk has been turned back on.
OKIE

Post by OKIE »

Good to hear, I've been using it for years

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk