Server Move (Now URGENT)

Questions regarding any FSN board problems. This is NOT a firearms "help" forum.
cj5mrt

Post by cj5mrt »

I'll kick in some money too. But I don't do electronic money transfers. LMK where to send a check.
jr81452

Post by jr81452 »

Tempus fugit
Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities - Voltaire

Zealot: noun 1. a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

jr81452 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:30 pmTempus fugit
You're right, but it is a serious question. I decided just before I came here. So I would like to host the domain and the forum with epik.com. The bronze plan is enough for us at $10 per month or about $110 per year.

To avoid coming back to ask for money every year, I suggest we take a 2 or 3-year initial contract. I am going to coordinate with [mention]SKSseven[/mention] for the domain name move from GoDaddy to Epik as soon as possible. After DNS propagation, we will move the forum.

Being abroad isn't easy for me to gather the money to do so, so again, I will rely on [mention]SKSseven[/mention] to do it.

I'll keep you posted shortly. I everybody is OK, I may just pay for another month's service here to make sure that we have time to move safely.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Please be sure to start a new topic for the donation/payments so that we don't have to keep checking this thread.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

Just let me know Legio.
Thank you for your work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

Just saw this. I'm in, just let me know where to send help.
jr81452

Post by jr81452 »

Legio wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm You're right, but it is a serious question. I decided just before I came here. So I would like to host the domain and the forum with epik.com. The bronze plan is enough for us at $10 per month or about $110 per year.

To avoid coming back to ask for money every year, I suggest we take a 2 or 3-year initial contract. I am going to coordinate with @SKSseven for the domain name move from GoDaddy to Epik as soon as possible. After DNS propagation, we will move the forum.

Being abroad isn't easy for me to gather the money to do so, so again, I will rely on @SKSseven to do it.

I'll keep you posted shortly. I everybody is OK, I may just pay for another month's service here to make sure that we have time to move safely.
Understood. I was under the impression you didn't have the cash on hand to fund any further costs. So my concern was the delay between getting the donation portal set up and getting the funds cleared and to the dns provider. If you can cover another month and take a reimbursement, then we have plenty of time.

I don't know what capabilities you have with the software, but castboolits sends out a mass email to all the registered members for the annual donation drive.

Epik shows the 8.99 price "for the first year", do we hold that price if we buy a multi year deal? How much does it go up on renewal? Maybe we should get a longer initial plan if the price holds for the full term? Based on the pledged donations in this thread, if the price holds for the full initial term, we should be able to cover 5 years on the initial buy. As to "coming back to ask for money every year", I would mind kicking in $20+ per year to keep the lights on. I doubt I'm alone in that. Food for thought.

I honestly didn't realize that you were covering everything out of pocket. Didn't we used to do donation drives? I feel like I used to have a "supporter" tag (or something like that). But I belong to a lot of firearms forums, so I could be conflating memories of another site.
Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities - Voltaire

Zealot: noun 1. a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

I am hosting the forum on my server. This server is costing me 89 euros every months. My main revenue line was coming from my cruise website. Since January 2020, that revenue stream has completely dried up and even cost me some as I had to refund the cruises that were not delivered.

I am trying to have something going on, but in the fucking God forsaken country I live in, there isn’t much but the the small shitty town I am in, it is even worse. When business is good I can scrape about 500 euros per months. So, 89 euros is killing me. Until now, I tried to keep it up, but all the savings have been gone for a while now and I just can’t manage it right now. I am ok to pay for another month, even if it is stretching it. But not more.

I have decided on epik. They seem to be the best choice for our line of thinking. Ar15 moved there, Parler also for their domain name. It would be a good move for us. The domain should be 8.99 the first year. I don’t know for the ones after yet. Af for the hosting the more we commit, the less it costs. 9.99 per month on a monthly basis isn’t a bad start.

[mention]SKSseven[/mention] offered to send me some cash, but there is another problem. I sold a few guns recently and got the payments on my US bank account. My CC expired a year ago and after 3 attempts to have it sent here, it never arrived. So I cannot use the cash I still have there and any sent to me would end up in the same situation.

I have to find a way for you guys to sent money to [mention]SKSseven[/mention] so he can use his card. Now that I know where to go, I have to setup something. Still don’t know what. Chris may even be able to shell it up and have you pay him back somehow.

Worse case scenario, I pay for another month here, but I am trying to have t done this week.

What a fucked up world we live in today,
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

If needed I can pay with a credit card.
Lmk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

I can also assist if needed. I am going to my my sure off go daddy soon as well. Going to epik also.

You have my email. Feel free to share it with sksseven as needed. I week assist as much as I can.