Trijicon RMR Type 2

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
cal45

Trijicon RMR Type 2

Post by cal45 »

Just picked up a G17 MOS...so of course now I'm looking at red dot optics and pretty much zeroed in on Trijicon RMR Type2 but as I plan to use the G17 as primary house gun but will occasionally carry if I feel the need - not sure if I really "need" one of these.

If you have one of these on your pistol, let me know your thoughts on the RMR?
Really needed for a home defense gun or should I just go with a TRL light?

Thanks
ss1

Post by ss1 »

I have 2, one on a 34 MOS and one on a Poly80 “19”. The 34 has a 3.25 MOA and the P80 has a 6.5. It was super easy for me to learn acquiring the dot. It’s helped me a lot since I started to have to wear cheaters to even see the sights a little over 10 years ago and these let me wear regular EP’s. Keep in mind that you are limited to certain tall sights on the MOS slide because of the really small gap left for the MOS relief. If you don’t like the 17, let me know! I’ve been looking for a 17 MOS for some time and this damn COVID/BLM crisis has made them unobtainable without big $$$
cal45

Post by cal45 »

ss1 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:18 pm I have 2, one on a 34 MOS and one on a Poly80 “19”. The 34 has a 3.25 MOA and the P80 has a 6.5. It was super easy for me to learn acquiring the dot. It’s helped me a lot since I started to have to wear cheaters to even see the sights a little over 10 years ago and these let me wear regular EP’s. Keep in mind that you are limited to certain tall sights on the MOS slide because of the really small gap left for the MOS relief. If you don’t like the 17, let me know! I’ve been looking for a 17 MOS for some time and this damn COVID/BLM crisis has made them unobtainable without big $$$
Thanks - good info. I'm still on the fence regarding getting one but until then, I just bought a TLR for it.

ss1

Post by ss1 »

Very nice! Oh btw, at first I used Glock’s adapter plate with trijicon’s sealing plate, but I since switched to CH Precision’s V4 MIL/LE adapter plate. It provides IMO better anchoring, lower stance and no ugly gaps that the Glock adapters have. I forgot to say that for me accuracy And speed has improved tremendously but your mileage may vary.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

I have one on my FNP-45 Tactical. I have mixed feelings about it.

It IS very cool. It DOES work... quite well.

It is very expensive. It takes some time / training / practice to acquire the dot quickly and instinctively.

Do I think it's an advantage in a self-defense situation, where I'm far more likely to point-shoot? No.

Do I like it? Yes. I think it is more advantageous for a range toy.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
TACC

Post by TACC »

Definitely easier for me to make long distance shots on steel, 50 to 100 yards, but my eyes ain't what they used to be either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

TACC wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:05 am Definitely easier for me to make long distance shots on steel, 50 to 100 yards, but my eyes ain't what they used to be either.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I agree with that. For precision shots, if your eyesight isn't what it used to be.... works very very well.

But, for most self-defense situations? I won't likely be using sights at all.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member