Help to identify

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

indy1919a4 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:33 amOne of these days someone is going to explain to me the full meaning of which guns are collectible and which is not. I see alot of people collecting ones just like this, any happy to do so.. I hear people at shows telling me this type is not collectible, while at the table next to him I see people engaged in Fisticuffs and throwing money at the owner to own them. :)
Not sure. I'm not an expert at Mauser values, but a quick look on gunbroker shows that the OP sold the rifle in this thread for $399 at auction. There is another scrubbed Pole around $400 as well.

A non-scrubbed (original) Pole with a duffle cut and rust is at about $750 right now, reserve not met. IMO OP's rifle is in far better condition.

A non-scrubbed, non-messed with stock with decent metal would likely go for 3x+ what OP's did.

Nothing wrong with that. The cheaper scrubbed Mauser is a much easier sale.

If you think of the entire market looking for a Mauser right now, a small slice of the pie would be hardcore collectors, the rest split between casual collectors and shooters. A scrubbed Mauser appeals to 90% of the market. Its a Shooter for sure, and its somewhat collectible as all mausers are nowadays. Its not like they're making more of them.

When I worked gunshows back in NY many years ago, the "milsurp guys" in the circuit would move the cheaper ones fast (Turks, Yugo's, even RC's) but the high-dollar ones would still be there at the next show, and the one after that, and the one after that....just waiting for the right buyer.

Scrubbed Mausers and "Cheap Mausers" are my favorite kinds of Mausers. I have several Yugo's because they're the most affordable ones at the moment. And I don't feel bad shooting corrosive sh!t ammo through them. I'd probably feel a little different about a Minty K98K
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

http://www.mauser.org/mod-2447-mauser-rifle/

Mr. Mitchell made his fortune selling Mausers.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

I would not want to think that price is solely a determinate of conductibility or rarity. It is the part many focus on but is a small fraction of the whole picture. Yugo's are a fun subset if the Mauser world, Yugoslavia is another country that got such cool variety of donated and captured arms over the years.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

P5 Guy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 am http://www.mauser.org/mod-2447-mauser-rifle/

Mr. Mitchell made his fortune selling Mausers.
Sometimes Mitchell's Mauser's gets alot of ugly reviews, but I liked them. They were super clean,, Heck they even made their own head stamped ammo (well PPU made it).. They did fake a few things to get there.. But its all part of the big gun history now..
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

indy1919a4 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:08 pm I would not want to think that price is solely a determinate of conductibility or rarity. It is the part many focus on but is a small fraction of the whole picture. Yugo's are a fun subset if the Mauser world, Yugoslavia is another country that got such cool variety of donated and captured arms over the years.
IDF Israeli forces used K98ks taken from Europe after WWII and used them to secure their claim to the Holy Land.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

P5 Guy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 am
indy1919a4 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:08 pm I would not want to think that price is solely a determinate of conductibility or rarity. It is the part many focus on but is a small fraction of the whole picture. Yugo's are a fun subset if the Mauser world, Yugoslavia is another country that got such cool variety of donated and captured arms over the years.
IDF Israeli forces used K98ks taken from Europe after WWII and used them to secure their claim to the Holy Land.
Also many other German origin weapons and British weapons,

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... nce-143687