If Open carry Became Legal Tomorrow...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

[youtube]muhKdT-FA4U[/youtube]
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

http://www.dailypress.com/news/crime/dp ... story.html

Man Wearing Handgun Open Carry Robbed in Newport News, Police Say

Sarah J. Ketchum, Daily Press

Man wearing handgun open carry robbed in Newport News, police say

Newport News police are investigating after a man reported he was pushed to the ground and had his handgun stolen late last week.

Officers responded to a report of the robbery in the 6000 block of Jefferson Avenue just before 8 p.m. Jan. 29, according to police spokesman Harold Eley.

The victim, a 37-year-old Hampton man, told police he was robbed as he walked across Jefferson Avenue to the lot at the Windsor House after visiting a friend at the Travelers Inn. He was wearing his handgun in a holster, open carry, on his hip, Eley said.

The man said he was approached from behind by two men, and one of them demanded his gun. The other then grabbed the gun from the holster and pushed him to the ground. Both men fled on foot southbound toward the trailer parks, Eley said.

The robbers are both described as black males. One was about 6 feet tall wearing a puffy black jacket and a black beanie. The second was about 5 feet, 6 inches tall with short dreads. He was wearing a gray zip up light weight jacket and red shoes.

Anyone with information that can assist in the ongoing investigation should call the anonymous Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Both these incidents happened in relatively "nice" areas. The cesspool aka SoFla would have these stories daily.
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

And you KNOW folks here won't be spending $$$ on good retention holsters. (See: "I'm on a fixed income!").
Gunsagogo

Post by Gunsagogo »

If you're going to open carry on a regular basis, it is imperative that you have a good sense of your surroundings.

Situational awareness is paramount, especially in less than neighborly areas.

Also, learn how to defend against a gun grab. AND PRACTICE IT!

My brother thought he would grab my gun as a joke. He learned quickly that it was nothing to jerk around with when he went back north with a serverely sprained wrist. Luckily I realized it was him before the broken wrist part came into play.

Yes, it's just that quick.

Also, there are many gun owners who will NEVER be comfortable open carrying a sidearm other than a range. That's just the way a lot of people are. This is normal and if you're uncomfortable wearing your sidearm OWB, then so be it.

AD
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:02 am By chance you didn't have one of those concealed weapon badges on your belt about 3 inches from your firearm as in the way that police officers display their badge next to their gun when in plain clothes ?

Because 9 out of 10 people I see open carrying have something similar.... trying to draw even more attention to themselves. :roll:
Nope. If I was going to do something like that I'd just put my carry permit in an ID holder and clip it on my belt. That way I'm not looking to play "pretend cop" and most regular folks just make assumptions that it's work related.

Those 3" CCW badges draw more "wrong" attention than anything else.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 am The "Knockout Game" would become the state pastime...

Until players started losing HARD. Open carry probably attracts and deters problems equally. Concealed doesn't mean shit, I pick out people carrying all the time and so can criminals. If they want to attack somebody for their gun, concealed means the person has to draw from concealment which is a bit harder.

So it would already be happening and cops would also be getting jacked for their guns.

Now if you have zero situational awareness, it will happen. And it already does and people do get their fanny pack rig and carry purses stolen all the time because they aren't watching.
tector

Post by tector »

I love the way supposed gun people buy the presumptions and logic of gun banners--focus on the most minimal number of bad results, and completely discard deterrence, which cannot be measured.

Most criminals are cowardly pieces of shit. They pick on the weak and vulnerable. Appearing unarmed is an invitation for them to act. If you are concealed, and all goes well, great--you have a righteous shoot, some ringing ears and maybe some PTSD. Your legal problems will likely be minimal.

That is the very best case scenario.

Maybe your draw from concealment doesn't go as planned under surprise and stress. Maybe you plug a pain in the ass innocent bystander, Mr. Quickdraw. Maybe the local prosecutor is not convinced you meet the standards for lethal self defense.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Deterrence has an enormous, unseen value. When we jokingly say "an armed society is polite society", there is a truth behind that. People used to know that. Apparently not so much any more, even among supposed "gun people".
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:34 am Both these incidents happened in relatively "nice" areas. The cesspool aka SoFla would have these stories daily.
I open carried constantly in FL. According to you I should have been dead and buried long ago.

Obviously you have to LOOK for problems. There were a few parking lot incidents where it seemed somebody was trying to walk around in order to come up behind me. After the second or third attempt when it was obvious I was watching them (and more importantly keeping an eye out for their buddy who might present himself at any moment) they gave it up.

But probably at a rate of 4:1 were guys who looked like they were going to be a "potential" problem who broke camp when they noticed I was armed.

Of course the important combination is being both "armed" and looking like you are "capable and willing" to use the weapon on your hip. Concealed means jack and shit, most guys determine if you are armed long before they put you on the victim list.

Had plenty of the "Hey can I borrow a dollar for gas" idiots abandon the entire pretext because they watched me go under my jacket and put my hand on my gun. Didn't matter how subtly I did it, every single one of them knew exactly what I had just done.

Criminals sometimes are stupid but most of them pay attention to details.

The problem will always be people who think "just having a gun" is going to solve ALL of their problems. They are the same ones who think "just having a gun visible" is going to solve ALL of their problems.

You either seem vulnerable or you don't. If you seem vulnerable they will fuck with you, even if you have a gun. If you aren't carrying with the willingness to use it, better leave it at home.

Concealed has advantages, open has advantages, each person needs to figure out what they are and decide what is the best option for them.