If Open carry Became Legal Tomorrow...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TC6969 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:14 am
neverenoughguns wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:54 am
P5 Guy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 am The option would be good, but I'd pretty much keep covered. One just would not have to worry as much on a breezy day or bending to a low shelf or reaching up to a higher shelf.
The above is my thought as well. Would be nice to not worry about accidentally exposing a firearm and the potential drama that might ensue.
Wasn't there a law passed a few years ago that addressed that problem?

Edit: Found it!

790.053 Open Carrying of Weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
The problem, of course, is how this section is "interpreted" by LE, and what constitutes "brief, open display" and "display in an angry or threatening manner..." If these interpretations are still left to "LE discretion," we have problems. An OC law would help minimize any risk of jeopardy from those "discretionary interpretation(s)..." So, even it I would not OC on a regular basis, it's still a very good law to have for this reason, alone.
Gunsagogo

Post by Gunsagogo »

I would.

In fact I do, every day.

I carry under the authorization of fs790 and have done so for at least 7 years now. (I am retired and do actually go to the range and fish every day.)

Although this appears to be my first message on this board, I had to reregister as my original username just won't authorize so I came back with this one. I am not a noob to the forum by any means.

I do not find open carry to be "showing off" or "look at me". I find it the most comfortable way for ME, personally, to carry a sidearm 24/7.

I have been "swatted" once at a fast food restaurant, but once the officers were convinced I wasn't some drug crazed terrorist who just happened to be eating a bowl of chili at the time, they quietly left and I continued on.

I have been stopped in previous years for openly carrying but a simple question and answer period cleared up any perceived problems and I continued on my merry way.

I have just returned from my annual three week trip out west and open carried every day, all day, everywhere. NOBODY CARES.

Don't act like a jerk, carry yourself in a respectable manner and everybody just passes you on by.

So, I vote yes to open carry although I realize I'm in the minority on this topic but once you are comfortable with the manner of carry, you'll wonder why you ever jammed a gun inside you pants.

If you are concerned what other people or friends might think of your open carry, then you probably won't want to do it.

AD
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

The advantage to open carry, as I see it, is that it would be a step to desensitizing the special snowflakes out there to how many people are actually carrying weapons, without blood in the streets everywhere they turn. They would be forced to see reality for what it is, and perhaps change their tune.
Other than that, I think concealed carry has many advantages.
patw

Post by patw »

There are some valid points to open carry- desensitizing, etc., but for defensive reasons I would not.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

The "Knockout Game" would become the state pastime...
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
tector

Post by tector »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 am The "Knockout Game" would become the state pastime...
Except that hasn't proven true, at all.

Open carry is not a theoretical concept. It actually exists many places and the "parade of horribles" dragged out here everytime the subject comes up is bullshit.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

tector wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:39 am
Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 am The "Knockout Game" would become the state pastime...

Open carry is not a theoretical concept. It actually exists many places and the "parade of horribles" dragged out here everytime the subject comes up is bullshit.
I'm being specific to the ghetto known as "SoFla". You WILL see people getting hit over the head for their weapons. I guarantee it.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:38 am

I'm being specific to the ghetto known as "SoFla". You WILL see people getting hit over the head for their weapons. I guarantee it.
Yeah, it's all about the...culture you decide to carry it around in. Done it in rural New Mexico and urban New Hampshire, not one issue.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Attacking a weapons carrier, concealed or open, is the equivalent of trying to grab a rattlesnake by the neck. Even street thugs aren't stupid enough to try it.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

jjk308 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:17 am

Attacking a weapons carrier, concealed or open, is the equivalent of trying to grab a rattlesnake by the neck. Even street thugs aren't stupid enough to try it.
They (most likely) won't go after you/me. They'll strike women, geezers and those skinny little "tacticool" boys.
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.