Why Navy SEALs Hate the FN SCAR 17

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman

Why Navy SEALs Hate the FN SCAR 17

Post by lakelandman »

I love FN but for the price points of these to have it be hard on optics that has to suck.
[youtube]5CCp5g4Zki8[/youtube]
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Ambidextrous reciprocating charging handles & repeated known patterns of excessive malfunctions..... what's not to hate? :?
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

flcracker wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:56 am Ambidextrous reciprocating charging handles & repeated known patterns of excessive malfunctions..... what's not to hate? :?
The pricepoint and how flat out fucking ugly it is.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Skoll wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:01 am
flcracker wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:56 am Ambidextrous reciprocating charging handles & repeated known patterns of excessive malfunctions..... what's not to hate? :?
The pricepoint and how flat out fucking ugly it is.
I ran 10 rounds through a range rental last year, I was not impressed. Made me go from wanting one to not, lol. Nothing about it felt good.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

such and expert :roll: couldn't even remember the name of the silencer, I'm sure he only looked it 100 times

while I agree its not for everyone, you can't run an SUV on a racetrack with a bunch of Euro cars, tossing big rocks, and looking bad ass has its advantages, but it's not for EBT card users
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

I just love some of these articles people write. About weapons. Just don't put crappy scopes on the SCAR and they won't break them. I've broke scopes on 308 ARs things happen.

Here's mine with a leupold MK6 that's been on mine for over 4 years with a Griffin OTB RSTA thanks again rent love this suppressor.

I've shot well over 3k and never had a malfunction of any kind. I also have the SCAR 16 and it works the same way. I love these weapons. No weapon is perfect but this is close. But to crap on them is wrong.

The SCAR weapons are some of the best battle weapons ever built. The 17 is the softest shooting 308 I've ever fired considering it's weight.

Oh yeah to judge a weapon after just shooting 10 rds :lol: you know better than that.

I think it looks bad ass also, not ugly. But hey to each their own. They just aren't for everyone.

But yes they are expensive that's true. Just like the LWRC REPR in 308 and other high end 308 ARs that cost even more than the SCAR. They are extremely accurate also using match ammo.

My buddy owns a LWRC REPR 308 which cost more than the SCAR but after hunting with the SCAR he tried trading me his REPR for the SCAR. No Way.

The SCAR 17 IS EVERYTHING THE AK WISHES IT COULD BE. The SCAR just shoots and shoots and shoots. Plus it's accurate as heck. It will shoot moa or better depending on ammo used.

Like I said. I've never had a malfunction of any kind with this weapon and I do not clean it like I should either. Plus with it being piston. It does not get nearly as dirty as DI guns.

But it's not perfect either. No weapon is. I think the weakess point is the stock being plastic. It can be broken. But they do sell a fix for that.

Oh yeah forgot I've killed quite a few hog with this rifle also. I have used a IR HUNTER THERMAL on that rifle hunting at night as well as that IR laser and never broken either of them also.

But I've read these articles years ago about the SCAR 17 breaking scopes. This is an old story. So is the line about SEALS and RANGERS not liking the SCARS. I can't speak for the SEALS.

But I know the guys in batt did not want to turn in the SCAR 16 at the end of the trial period and like the SCAR 17 which they still use.

This is nothing but propaganda by other gun makers like LWRC belittling the SCAR weapons. They pay some operator to say whatever. For every study that says one thing. There's a study that says the opposite about different guns. The SCAR is a fantastic weapon.

ImageImage
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ok I’m glad I’m not the only one who was like wtf watching that video. The Scar 17 wasn’t designed for cqb so knocking it for using for cqb is just stupid

I suppose a custom built AR-10 build a Geissele trigger and 25 round pmags might be better and lighter than a Scar 17
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

At a price of a used BMW.
Chinerd00

Post by Chinerd00 »

I'm very happy with my 12.5 (308) PoF pistol for $1750 and still have room for an optic+ every accessories I would want and still be under the price of a bone stock fn.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 pm such and expert :roll: couldn't even remember the name of the silencer, I'm sure he only looked it 100 times

while I agree its not for everyone, you can't run an SUV on a racetrack with a bunch of Euro cars, tossing big rocks, and looking bad ass has its advantages, but it's not for EBT card users
One day I will rise above EBT but probably still won't buy a SCAR. I'm sure they're fun but they just look like ugly rectangles to me.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."