Beretta Tomcat 3032 Cracked Frame after 100 rounds!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 pm Whats the frame made of? Steel or aluminum? I think their reply said aluminum.

Might be able "pound it back down" for lack of better words and just run over it a little with a TIG welder and melt it back together (again, for lack of better words).

That sucks you can't get it fixed by the manufacturer.

I always thought the Beretta's were "the cats ass" of 32 pistols.

It may be tempting to "file it down" in an attempt to repair it, but in my opinion, removing more material from an already (now obviously) weak area seems like a bad idea.
it's aluminum or aluminum alloy; and I did exactly as you said, I tapped it back down to realign the cracked parts and it now cycles smooth although I have not shot it yet after the repair.

I will look into TIG welder... is it something like JB weld? I have used JB weld which has metal mixed into it (not sure if it was aluminum or steel particles) to repair cracked motorcycle engine cover that cracked open with I was putting it back on and messed something up; it's been holding up to vibrations and hot engine oil just fine...
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:38 pm Whats the frame made of? Steel or aluminum? I think their reply said aluminum.

Might be able "pound it back down" for lack of better words and just run over it a little with a TIG welder and melt it back together (again, for lack of better words).

That sucks you can't get it fixed by the manufacturer.

I always thought the Beretta's were "the cats ass" of 32 pistols.

It may be tempting to "file it down" in an attempt to repair it, but in my opinion, removing more material from an already (now obviously) weak area seems like a bad idea.
never mind on TIG welding, I just looked it up... I would have it done by someone else!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Have someone Tig it and you file it down and smooth it out.Your biggest issue is going to be getting a excellent/competent tig welder
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Any chance of buying a new slide?
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

lakelandman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:11 pm Any chance of buying a new slide?
it's not the slide that's cracked, it's the frame, which legally is the firearm, so they will not send me a new one :(
this happened day after I bought the pistol; gun store that sold it to me told me Beretta will make it right 100%. oh well. it was my screw up, the gun did come with a flyer stating max energy levels of ammo it can handle, I ignored it, now I have a busted frame, but I think I can make it work as a range suppressor host plinker at least...
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

Does anyone make a 22lr conversion for that pistol?

Years ago I broke a chunk of frame rail off an aluminum frame 9mm race gun. Not repairable. I dropped a 22lr top end in place and use it as a practice gun.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
OSD

Post by OSD »

As for the repair, check and see if you can find someone who does jewelry repair. They are used to doing small precise repairs.
Jim
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

OSD wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:11 am As for the repair, check and see if you can find someone who does jewelry repair. They are used to doing small precise repairs.
excellent suggestion! I haven't thought of this! thank you!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

My last message to Beretta's customer support:
Do you know if continued use of the pistol could result in frame cracks forming elsewhere, or the frame warping, should I choose to keep shooting the pistol with the same ammo that caused the crack? Would the same happen going forward if I switched to ammunition with less muzzle energy?
And the reply I just received:
It is possible that this could occur. However, we've not noted such an occurrence to date. Additionally, when the crack occurs, we recommend the cessation of further use. So in any case where such a breakage can occur, most people discontinue use of the product and have not used it to the point of further damage.

The ammunition you shoot through a Tomcat must not exceed 130 foot pounds of muzzle energy. Again, your ammunition (Sellier & Bellot) is clocking in at 176 foot pounds. It should not be used in a Tomcat.

If your ammunition is stated to be 130 or less, then this meets the parameters of the 3032 Tomcat, and may be used. Use of this ammunition does not damage the frame.
OSD

Post by OSD »

OSD wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:11 am As for the repair, check and see if you can find someone who does jewelry repair. They are used to doing small precise repairs.
I would check with some pawn shops that do alot of jewelry and firearms sales.
Jim