Beretta Tomcat 3032 Cracked Frame after 100 rounds!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

TonyR wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:17 pmIt looks workable
I was thinking of either shaving off the entire top bar and rounding off the ends so the slide can glide on it freely, or alternatively just rounding off the ends where the crack occurred. But I am just a hobbyist gunsmith...

Your recommendations?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Find an old gunsmith to work on it if ya can,more patience than you youngsters have,LOL. An old smith who's probably dead was Earl at shoot straight in Apopka ,30 + years ago,hahaha
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

TonyR wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 pm Find an old gunsmith to work on it if ya can,more patience than you youngsters have,LOL. An old smith who's probably dead was Earl at shoot straight in Apopka ,30 + years ago,hahaha
I know just the guy... he runs this hole-in-a-wall range called Revere in Pompano Beach... great guy, showed me his WWI and WWII gun collection including German Walters and 1911 made in 1916 I think with the most beautiful blueing job, it was shiny like dark crystal almost :shock:
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

After the last message from Beretta's so called customer service :roll: I asked the following:
What would be the point of me sending in the frame for inspection?
Can the gun still be used safely or do you recommend I trash it?
So I guess you will not replace the frame nor the gun? Can you sell me a frame alone?
Here's the reply I just received:
Hello Martin:

Our answer to this is less cut and dry. But I am happy to elaborate. From a mechanical standpoint, there is no known safety related issue to continuing to use the firearm as is. Yet, as a matter of common practice in the industry, the manufacturer of any firearm--Beretta included--will recommend the cessation of use in the event of a frame breakage, as the frame constitutes the legally regulated portion of the firearm, and we will take greater than necessary measures to ensure your safety during firearm use.

Purely from a mechanical standpoint, the slide "rubbing" against the aluminum fracture may result in the development of a burr along the frame. This burr may result in excess friction generated along the action. By extension, this may reduce rearward and forward momentum of the slide when cycling, which may induce chambering and extraction malfunctions. Mind you, this only presents a safety issue in the event that the firearm is inoperable in a self-defense scenario.

Many folks--unbeknownst to them-- continue to use their 3032 pistols for years before noticing any damage to the frame.

Included in the box is a slip indicating that the ammunition muzzle energy must not exceed 130 foot pounds. Should you find yourself in possession of any new Tomcat pistols, we recommend verifying the values of your ammunition prior to use. Exceeding the prescribed value will stress the frame to fracture, regardless of age. Unfortunately, to replace the frame involves legally obtaining a complete replacement Tomcat through your dealer.

Regretfully, I must inform you that we recommend retiring the firearm from service. However, a helpful hint. You might consider selling the firearm to Numrich Gun Parts in Kingston, NY. They will generally happily purchase the pistol from you for salvage parts.

If you require anything further, please let us know!

Kind regards,

Beretta Technical Services
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

My next response to Beretta's customer support is this (awaiting response):
I do a fair amount of tuning and gun smithing on my guns though never in order to repair or mitigate damage. Let me ask this: with this crack is the integrity of the frame compromised or is it merely a cosmetic issue if I manager to avoid the burr from forming and applying excessive friction on the slide? What I was thinking is either just rounding off the edges where the frame cracked, or alternatively filing the cracked bar off completely while leaving the ends rounded off. Both approaches should guarantee no excessive friction will be at play, but I am just a hobbyist when it comes to guns... could you provide your opinion on this? I understand you may be concerned with liability issues, so let me say that going forward I, Martin ********, the owner of the 3032 Beretta TomCat serial number DAA602031, take on full liability should damage to property, injury, or loss of life occur from further use of this pistol.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

They won't tell you anything that they wouldn't want presented in court if you blew your hand off. Your statement absolving them of liability isn't worth anything. How much was the pistol? Numrich will give you seven dollars and twelve cents for the parts, and you pay shipping to get it there.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Wakko wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:19 pm They won't tell you anything that they wouldn't want presented in court if you blew your hand off. Your statement absolving them of liability isn't worth anything. How much was the pistol? Numrich will give you seven dollars and twelve cents for the parts, and you pay shipping to get it there.
Maybe so, but I think they answered it enough for me to know how to proceed...

...here's their response to my latest inquiry:
Hello Martin:

Our personal experience tells us that the issue is more cosmetic than functional in the early stages. However, burrs and malfunctions are something of an inevitability in the long run.

I appreciate your inquiry, and that you are willing to accept any liability. However, I am afraid that I am not permitted to deviate from this policy or stance under any circumstance. This is both a matter of liability, but departmental policy. Although again, I do appreciate your statement. Frankly, although litigation is no longer a concern, I could not in good conscience risk your safety by advocating for any un-endorsed service.

Still, please reach me here with any questions!

Kind regards,

Beretta Technical Services
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Another example of how telling the truth gets you nowhere in today's society.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

zeebaron wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:35 am Another example of how telling the truth gets you nowhere in today's society.
very keen observation sadly, but at least I can sleep at night and my son and daughter have a father figure with integrity... at least I try :lol:
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Whats the frame made of? Steel or aluminum? I think their reply said aluminum.

Might be able "pound it back down" for lack of better words and just run over it a little with a TIG welder and melt it back together (again, for lack of better words).

That sucks you can't get it fixed by the manufacturer.

I always thought the Beretta's were "the cats ass" of 32 pistols.

It may be tempting to "file it down" in an attempt to repair it, but in my opinion, removing more material from an already (now obviously) weak area seems like a bad idea.