Gander Outdoors

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Skeezix

Gander Outdoors

Post by Skeezix »

Has anybody else made it to a new Gander Outdoors?
Went to one up in Green Bay and I was amused.
Definitely a no frills kind of place. Nothing fancy at all.
Prices were lower than the old Gander stores.
Pretty good selection of both pistols, rifles and shotguns.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

How much lower? Lower than the old Gander Mountain is as easy as you don't have to sell a kidney to buy a gun there.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
better2have&notneed

Post by better2have&notneed »

I went to the Ocala store, prices are lower than the old Gander. They had some ammo I was looking for, so I went to pay for it and ended up joining the "Good Sam Club". The GSC member discount and some other promo discount basically got me the annual membership for free.

Everything in the store has a regular price and a lower member price...which usually makes me want to shop elsewhere, but the member prices on a few things I looked at were pretty close to internet prices from other major sites.

Just today I got a 20% off coupon for any one clearance item for Friday-Sunday. I might go check them out Friday morning.
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Oh yeah... Forgot about the "club price" thing.
Either way, they were cheaper than the other shop that I went to.
But they were a tactical/police/security store.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Camping World bought the Gander brand. From what I can gather on the website, you can bet they'll be pushing RV sales on people in the near future. You've already joined the Good Sam Club for the discounts...might as well get one, right? $$$ to be made on financing kickbacks.
Jnkranch

Post by Jnkranch »

The Camping World/Gander/Overtons retail outlets are part of an unbelievably grand business strategy. They are all owned by Camping World Holdings (CWH stock ticker) with Marcus Lemoines as the CEO. The retail/mail order outlet’s main purpose are to drive membership to the Good Sam Club which in Lemoines own words “is the most valuable asset CWH owns” - most valuable asset is not the stores, the inventory, the service facilities, no, the most valuable asset is the recurring membership!

The concept of spending millions of dollars to open, maintain, and operate these massive operations to drive membership boggles my business mind. Lemoines is bringing the Costco mentality to the outdoor marketplace. Whether he will succeed or not, we can only surmise, but the vision is spectacular.
TampaShooters

Post by TampaShooters »

Just went to the one in Tampa, not impressed with the prices. Selection of gun stuff was good, but could get everything cheaper elsewhere. Pretty much on par with Bass pro... But not as large
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Went into the West Tampa/Westchase/Oldsmar one for the first time today while picking up cat food next door. I was actually impressed with the selection and pricing of the whole store, and the neat area where you can try out a lot of the optics they sell (they're individually mounted to generic gun stocks).