After The Crash

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I miss IRC and ICQ and even MSN Messenger. I think I was just a hare too young to really get into Usenet because we didn't get a home PC until about 1995, and I think ours came with AOL.

All the other tenets of the old internet? Vastly preferred over all the spyshit that is current social media.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

photohause wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:42 pm Notice how many member have not returned after the recent crash of FSN?
Too much drama?
Long threads containing nothing?
Too much doom & gloom?
Basically all the active users have found their way back. The others, who cares really. Many people move on after a while. Facebook has killed many forums. With over 500 actives, we're good. As for the replies, if the subject is of little interest, you can't blame people for not responding.

A company give guns to employees. Nice, but I have nothing to say about but 'Nice!'
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Cubanstang50 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:58 pm I think after the 2 nukes that dropped it really did a number to this place. Hopeful that it will pick back up.
Only 1 nuke. It does not seems that anybody really miss the old content. They only miss their post counts and membership date. Nothing says that the count will still exist in the future (I personally dislike this feature) and if you have a problem with the date, give it to me and I'll go in the database to change it.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Legio wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:29 pm
Nothing says that the count will still exist in the future (I personally dislike this feature)
Post count needs to be gone.

All it does is lead to a false sense of superiority over members with smaller numbers and causes crap posts all over the board in an attempt to raise ones post count.

A perfect example is arfcom.

High post count members over there think that they are absolute Gods over lesser members and everyone posts stupid, ignorant, meaningless drivel 24/7 in a vain attempt to acquire some imaginary status that they can hold over someone else's head.

When I was a mod over there, I tried for years to make the powers that be see that and each time, I got laughed at.

Now some of them are finally seeing that I was right, now that its far far too late.

Democratic Underground has the right idea as far as post count goes and we should certainly think about using their method here.

Post count at DU is capped at 999 and after that, members are listed as "1000+ contributors" and someone with 20,493 posts shows up just like some guy with 1001.

You want to know how many people over there are posting idiotic shit for no other reason than to see that stupid number go up?

Answer, NONE.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

FSN is my #1 shooting forum, but I'm a boater, scuba diver, and RV'er so I also split my time on those forums.

For anything that directly relates to Florida, FSN is my go-to site. We don't have the drama here, nor do we have milquetoast members. It's a great forum. It doesn't matter to me if we have 50 or 5,000 members; it's the quality of the membership that's important to me.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

No steak knives for you noob"s,LOL
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

TonyR wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:12 pm No steak knives for you noob"s,LOL
Hey!

You cant talk to me like that!

I have 140 more posts than you do! :lol:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Just getting my post count up 👍
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Greg wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:17 pm Just getting my post count up 👍
I still got you beat!

You have to salute next time I see ya! :lol:
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

But you still don't get the steak knives :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !