Why Navy SEALs Hate the FN SCAR 17

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Chinerd00 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:23 am I'm very happy with my 12.5 (308) PoF pistol for $1750 and still have room for an optic+ every accessories I would want and still be under the price of a bone stock fn.
I lucked out and got a BLACK RAIN ORDNANCE AR10 from a guy that was hard up for cash. I do not think it had ever been fired except to function test it.

It came with a custom 20 inch match grade Shilen barrel. Magpul Industries PRS GEN3 Precision-Adjustable Stock

Also a Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Trigger that is so smooth it's like glass. BCM changing handle. When I pull the charging handle back. It's so smooth and easy. It's like a well oiled engine.

He had it Cerakoted in dark earth. I added a one piece adjustable gas block and gas tube to it. The gas block and tube came together as one piece. I can't remember the name right now.

He had close to 3k in that RIFLE. I got it for 1800.00.

I'd like to to put a shorter barrel on it, as well as a different stock. So it'd be easier to hunt with. But the way it is set up now. It is a tac driver at 800 plus yards using 175 grain match.

I'm in no way knocking 308 ARs. You just need to be careful when buying one. Plus when setting it up. You need to put an adjustable gas block to cut down on felt recoil. You can make them really really soft shooting weapons.

I bought the SCAR 17 and SCAR 16 because I had the funds to do so at the time and really wanted them. I did have buyer remorse at first. But now......Id sell all my other guns first. They are my go to weapons.

I shot 2000 rounds through the SCAR 17 once before cleaning it. I just wanted to see if it would malfunction. It didn't ....then again I shot 3000 rounds through an AR 15 with an ARES PISTON KIT on it without any malfunctions.

But at around 4k rds. The ARES piston kit did wear out the buffer tube portion that held the spring and part that held the buffer and buffer spring in the buffer tube. A easy fix on the buffer tube using a drimel tool.

I switched the piston bolt carrier out to a different make. I also had to put in a new piston rod and measure and grind it to length. Just a tad. But that's recommended in the directions anyways with the old ARES PISTON KITS.

But it's like everything else in life. You don't buy something you do not like. It's like my night vision and thermals. I know how to build night vision. So I built night vision and sold them. Each time upgrading to better and better night vision until I had what I wanted. Same thing with guns.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Greg

Post by Greg »

Has anyone used the Lantac dragon muzzle break on a scar 17? I imagine it would cut down the recoil immensely

Curiosity question here, why such a short barrel for a 308?

Onky problems I’ve ever really read w the 17 as well is problems w optics coming loose while shooting via recoil
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Hey Greg

The break that comes on the 17 cuts down on recoil enough. There is very little recoil as it is.

The problem is with these damn breaks is they are deafing. The Lantec also. I was hunting one night with SCAR 17. I had my helmet on because I was using night vision and the IR LASER. My hearing muffs are mounted to my helmet.

They are electronic. The darn batteries died on me. So I lifted them up to talk with my buddy I was hunting with. We were sitting on top of a hugh mound of dirt. A hog came out of the brush on the other side of the pond about 50 yards away from us.

I lit the hog up with the IR laser and started shooting. I forgot to put my darn hearing muffs back down. The hog was running and I shot 3 time before it fell.

Those damn breaks throw the sound back at you. I could not hear for a week. This was before my RSTA suppressor came in for it. They are not issued in the military with breaks. They are issued with flash hiders.

You really do not need a break with SCAR 17 they sell it with break I guess because of some regulation or they got a better price on them then the standard issue SCAR FLASH HIDER.

As far as optics coming loose. I'm not familiar with that. In that it's never happened to me on the SCAR 17 or 16 unless I'm using the mounts where you have nuts or bolts that attach that scope mounts to the rail. Then in those cases I use blue locktite no matter what gun it is. Because they will come loose if you do not locktite them.

But the MILITARY issue SCARS use flash hiders not breaks. Alot of SCAR buyers ditch those breaks right after getting the SCAR. I was waiting for my suppressors. As a matter of fact I asked rent if he'd mail me the muzzle attachments right after that incident.

But my ears still are ringing from that night. I hate breaks. A 308 shouldn't need one anyways.

Here's a pic of the night vision setup I was using that night. The ear muffs I had just lifted up anf folded back on helmet
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Greg

Post by Greg »

AAC makes a connector that threads onto their muzzle breaks that projects that sound downrange. Could get a SR-7 w that attachment and your GTG

I agree I also find the flash hiders particulary useless as well. If I were to mount optics I would use a Bobro Mount so I’m sure I would be GTG

I like your helmet setup, very streamlined

FSN Member Since 2009
Greg

Post by Greg »

I would like add my input into this discussion regarding setup of a AR-10

I would use the following for a more modernized version of the AR-10

Ballistic Advantage upper and lower
BA SS Fluted 18 inch 308 barrel
V Seven 15 inch Keymod Rail
Magpul UBR 2.0 Stock
V Seven Buffer tube
AAC muzzlebreak w SR-7
Geissele SSA-E
JP Bolt carrier w JP BCG
V Seven Inproved Cam Pin
V Seven Titanium firing pin
Accutac SR-5 bipod
Bobro Scope Mount
JP Silent Captured Spring Buffer
VZ extended light takedown pins

Magpul 25 round 308 PMags

I could build this up and it would trump the Scar 17 IMHO any day of the week. I could get it much lighter to that of the SCAR. I also have the modularity w my AR-10 lower above to throw on a 6.5 creedmoor upper as well, just swap out bolts

Fast, accurate, powerful shots w the ability to supresss if needed. Super lightweight setup

Thoughts anyone? What would anyone recommend for a good optic?

FSN Member Since 2009
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

Haha it s funny watching Shawns videos. He is local to me (or was,he just moved) and I have spoken with him several times and sold him a few kydex products. He will be the first to tell you that he is a shooter and operator first and the equipment came second. This seems to be the same with other "real" Seals and operators I have spoken with. They see the weapons as tools and training comes first. Good guy though and he knows his stuff.
MikeFL86

Post by MikeFL86 »

SCAR 17s are overpriced but they're fine rifles for what they are. I like mine but I wouldn't pay what people are paying for them now.

The main mistake FN made, in addition to charging too much for them, is that they scaled up the 16 rather than starting with a .308 and scaling down.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Dunno about the 17, but my SCAR-16S has been flawless for thousands of rounds. And, I do mean flawless... not a single rifle malfunction. Though I did have one of the FN magazines fail.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member