I want off this earth

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ger42

I want off this earth

Post by Ger42 »

hit 82 and I want out. too many health issues and sitting on a major fault line and waiting on a big one to hit have gotten to me. Both dogs have crossed the rainbow bridge and I can't wait for my turn. I spend the better part of every day thinking how I will respond when the BIG one hits. Hurricanes we easier you had a fore warning giving you time to prepare. I spent 20 Hours getting a CERT certification. My waking hours are spent on trying to getthe house setup to withstand an earthquake of unknown severity. Keep hoping for a meteor to drop on my head.

getting it out makes me feel better time for the evening cocktail.
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

Get have you considered moving somewhere easier to live? Even I’m considering moving. Looking at NW Arkansas. Very laid back, not much for major storms/issues, cheaper cost of living etc
tector

Post by tector »

Molivo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:03 pm Get have you considered moving somewhere easier to live? Even I’m considering moving. Looking at NW Arkansas. Very laid back, not much for major storms/issues, cheaper cost of living etc
I think Arkansas will be the next Tennessee (which was the next North Carolina).
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

I bailed to a small town in Iowa almost 10 years ago.

Trying to evac with the entire population of the state for Hurricane Irma did it for me. Bad stuff can happen anywhere but the problem with hurricanes is there is a season and you have to prep for every one of them because it "might" hit your area. Just became too much work to prep for them and that's nothing compared to the aftermath of taking an actual hit. Just can't live someplace where 2 weeks to a month without electric and regular access to groceries is a fact of life.

Did it for 30 years but I was younger. Add in South Florida's rediscovery of heroin and the fact that almost every person I was meeting was "in recovery" and it's really not where I wanted to spend my remaining years.

I knew I did the right thing when I was walking out of the grocery store trying to carry four 12 packs of soda and of course one broke open and sent cans rolling down the parking lot. If that would have happened at my local publix four people would have grabbed a can and ran away, four others would have kicked a can across the parking lot and four different people would have tried to start arguing with me because a can rolled too close to them or their car. But in this instance 3 or 4 people actually grabbed cans and carried them over to me, it's nice to live around nice people again.

I miss the excellent pizza options, I miss my friends and I miss a few other things but getting out of South Florida was one of the best things I've ever done.
George W

Post by George W »

I'm ready to head out too. Seven generations is long enough. Once upon a time, NM was where I wanted to be. With my daughter and Son in law being there the past few years, I got a front row seat to the Californician of the state and want nothing to do with it. I'd like cooler weather, but I have no desire to shovel snow or live in tornado alley, so I don't know where to go. With my kids now grown, getting off the planet at the next stop is okay too.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

tector wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:23 pm I think Arkansas will be the next Tennessee (which was the next North Carolina).
Just sayen
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Wulfmann wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:20 am
tector wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:23 pm I think Arkansas will be the next Tennessee (which was the next North Carolina).
Just sayen
They left out Pickles Gap.
joel

Post by joel »

tector wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:23 pm
Molivo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:03 pm Get have you considered moving somewhere easier to live? Even I’m considering moving. Looking at NW Arkansas. Very laid back, not much for major storms/issues, cheaper cost of living etc
I think Arkansas will be the next Tennessee (which was the next North Carolina).
I believe that you are 100% right.
We search for more peaceful and less congestion... and, in the process, we invariably bring more congestion to these places.
tector

Post by tector »

All the hillbilly insults used to be routinely applied to Tennessee, before dumb "memes" ever existed. It will stop nothing.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Pzgren

Post by Pzgren »

I moved out of Pembroke Pines in 2018, moved to the DFW area in Texas. It is definitely not an improvement over Florida. I lived in Bentonville, AR in 1999. There were nice gun clubs and it was pretty relaxed, back then. It has changed a lot.

My oldest son lives in Southwestern Indiana, where I am visiting right now. Greatest gunrange I have ever been to is close: Redbrush Rifle Range, life is cheaper, the climate milder. I used to live also in this area and seen a lot of Kentucky. Driving up from DFW metro, I crossed Arkansas, Kentucky and western Tennessee. Kentucky is what I am loosely considering as my next home but I am self employed and do not worry about the local job market.