Sprinklers Well System Pump Priming Problems

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
photohause

Sprinklers Well System Pump Priming Problems

Post by photohause »

Good day all. Any pump gurus out there who can help me? I had a small crack at a PVC joint, with I sealed with the help of JB Weld epoxy. The pump manual says to fill the pump via the prime cap/hole. It stated do not run longer than ten minutes because your well may be deep, which I did with no success.

Is there anything I am missing?

Thank you in advance.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
photohause

Post by photohause »

Good day all. Any pump gurus out there who can help me? I had a small crack at a PVC joint, with I sealed with the help of JB Weld epoxy. The pump manual says to fill the pump via the prime cap/hole. It stated do not run longer than ten minutes because your well may be deep, which I did with no success.

Is there anything I am missing?

Thank you in advance.

Photo
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Provided your repair actually sealed the crack and there are not others, you likely need to really a good prime going to get the water up to the head of the pump. We use a manual suction device called a Guzzler for priming systems as it pulls water up from the source, trying to force water down into the system from a hose works sometimes but seems to always leave air in the suction line which is a problem when the air pocket hits the head and then the pump chokes.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

1st metal or pvc pipe ? If pvc best to replace cracked sections . 2nd is there a check valve between the pump and point /points manifold if so open prime port fill with water the check valve should keep it from just draining down the well point this will help the pump from burning up . Ive tried the jbweld route …did not work for me …sigh
chạy trốn hoặc giết tất cả và đốt hooches của họ.
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

Did you run it allowing the water to flow or not flow?
I have found the best way to prime my shallow well pump is to put my thumb over the hose end and alternate between blocking it until it builds up some pressure, then letting a little water out, then blocking it again. Repeat until you hear the pump get primed.
One thing to try is, fill it and them run a hose from the house water and run it on the well fitting coming up to the pump. If there is a small leak, running water on it will essentially act like a sort short term seal and you will hear the difference as it starts to pick up the prime.
Best I got, but far from expert.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Are you sure there are no air leaks? How old is the pump, and did it run for any amount of time without water? What is your water level (can you drop a weighted string down the well to see when it hits water?).

I replaced all pvc fittings with metal, as they continously cracked/leaked.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Gregmp15

Post by Gregmp15 »

Did you resolve this?
Any leak on suction side needs to be replaced with new sch 90 grey pipe ,No guru here
photohause

Post by photohause »

Thanks for teh thoughts.....had a sprinkler guy who frequents teh neighborhood come out and he rebuilt a bunch....all is well. Take care gents.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

FYI, I merged 2 separate topics from the same author with the same title in the same forum.