Miami gun show now $17 to get in

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector

Post by tector »

The Florida Statute is sec. 212.0596.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

tector wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:27 pm In addition to the "base" 6% tax, they also have to collect the "discretionary" add-on sales tax some FL counties have.
That’s another crazy thing about the shows. When doing a show with Khaled, we’d have a meeting before the show started. The first thing Khaled would remind everyone was the sales tax to be collected at the show because different counties had different sales tax, so every show was a different percentage. With Ira, he didn’t give a crap. Since his store was in Ft. Lauderdale, he collected what Broward County required, which was 6%, even though Dade County was 7%. A few Miami dealers complained to Ira saying he had a 1% advantage over them since he was only collecting 6%. He told them in his typical pissed off voice “I’ve been doing it this way for years, & never got a warning from the tax people”. GARY
tector

Post by tector »

N4KVE wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:51 pm
tector wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:27 pm In addition to the "base" 6% tax, they also have to collect the "discretionary" add-on sales tax some FL counties have.
That’s another crazy thing about the shows. When doing a show with Khaled, we’d have a meeting before the show started. The first thing Khaled would remind everyone was the sales tax to be collected at the show because different counties had different sales tax, so every show was a different percentage. With Ira, he didn’t give a crap. Since his store was in Ft. Lauderdale, he collected what Broward County required, which was 6%, even though Dade County was 7%. A few Miami dealers complained to Ira saying he had a 1% advantage over them since he was only collecting 6%. He told them in his typical pissed off voice “I’ve been doing it this way for years, & never got a warning from the tax people”. GARY
Well, Broward fixed that problem--it's been 7% for about 5 years now. Stupid commie voters signed up for the extra penny, like the morons they are.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

Miami_JBT wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:01 pm
tector wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:46 am
N4KVE wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 am

The big savings in buying on line is the lack of sales tax. A few months ago I purchased an AP-5, which is a MP-5 built in Turkey on HK machinery. Locally the cheapest I could find it was $1350, plus tax which would be $1449.50. On line it was $1107 delivered to the FFL, plus $25 transfer fee, but no sales tax. So the total was $1132, a difference of $317.50. I gave the FFL a chance to match the price, but he couldn’t, & I don’t blame him, as he is required to collect sales tax. So I took a chance, & rolled the dice, & the gun has been perfect. But it’s the first, & only time I’ve made an online purchase of a firearm. I go to shows now to find guns from the last 30+ years. Not dealers who all have the same Glocks where prices can vary $150-$200 from one table to the next. When I worked for Khaled, & Ira, they’d give me good deals on what I wanted, but I had a herniated disc L3-L4, & can no longer do the shows. And the first time they started charging for parking in Miami, Khaled asked them to record how many people said “fu#k this, I’m leaving. 14 people left. Apparently some new boss at the fairgrounds figured if people could pay to park in South Beach, they could pay to park at the shows. GARY.
Uhhh...the laws about sales tax on internet sales changed quite a while ago. What you say WAS very true back before then. But any commercial dealer (not private sales, like here or FGT) not charging sales tax now is looking to get absolutely clobbered. I'm not doubting your story--hell, I went to the Tulsa gun show, maybe ten years ago, and some guy wanted to private sell me a handgun even though he knew I was from out-of-state (he said "this is Oklahoma, son"). There are all kinds of dopes out there. But the vast majority of sellers are going to collect sales tax now (I think Gunbroker enforces it on all sales).
A number of out-of-state dealers still aren't collecting sales tax for online sales.
Maybe its a wrong asumption on my part since our only online selling platform is Gunbroker, who charges sales tax on every sale unless the buyer is registered with them as being tax exempt (Resellers, etc). Eventually it'll be the way of the world. .gov is losing too much money by not extorting money from consumers via internet sales tax.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Thanks T, glad to learn something useful
tector

Post by tector »

Wulfmann wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:22 pm Thanks T, glad to learn something useful
Actually you prompted me to look deeper into it, so thank you, sir.

Obviously we have people like Matt here (and formerly Mark, RIP), who are in-state dealers, so they know all those in-state rules. But I don't think we have any dealers from out-of-state here, so there are probably no "experts" on this topic here to advise us.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Molivo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:24 pm Eventually it'll be the way of the world. .gov is losing too much money by not extorting money from consumers via internet sales tax.
We have been waiting for this since Revelations was written by John
I was having dinner in Capetown in Fall of 2000 with some international bankers describing how eventually all transactions would be digital and every person in the world would have their own account number.
What was ironic was one guy stated it would require each person to have an 18 digit account in 3 groups of 6 numbers.
I asked him by making everyone's number 3 sets of 6 numbers as in 6-6-6 if that would not cause deep concern for Christians believing this would be the mark of the one world government
They had no idea what I just said and all just looked at me like cows looking at a new gate
It was actually quite funny

If you think people will resist digital banking just try and get me to go back to writing checks and mail in CC payments :lol: