Miami gun show now $17 to get in

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I remember when that happened. All the FFL’s at the show breathed a sigh of relief that the playing field was now level. But if you go to Atlantic’s site today, you’ll see they are not charging tax for out of state sales. GARY.
Last edited by N4KVE on Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tector

Post by tector »

Can't really tell unless you actually submit an order. There is a tax line, but you may be right that that is only for in-state sales.

Maybe they don't meet the FL $100k threshold? Seems unlikely to me, but....

I'll tell you, IN-STATE, the FDOR is the last people you want on your ass. They make the IRS look lame. I knew someone whose brother was a FL sales tax lawyer. A lot of people hired him from the jailhouse.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

tector wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:45 pm Can't really tell unless you actually submit an order. There is a tax line, but you may be right that that is only for in-state sales.

Maybe they don't meet the FL $100k threshold? Seems unlikely to me, but....

I'll tell you, IN-STATE, the FDOR is the last people you want on your ass. They make the IRS look lame. I knew someone whose brother was a FL sales tax lawyer. A lot of people hired him from the jailhouse.
I remember having a chat with Khaled about this exact topic. He said he’d much rather deal with the ATF than the FDOR. They can come in any time, & demand to see all the 4473’s, & then match them to all the invoices to see that tax was collected on all transactions. GARY.
TACC

Post by TACC »

Seems now Gunbroker is charging tax on out of state purchases as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Think I'm pretty much done with the shows! Just go to see what's around with a couple of buddies usually and NEVER bought a gun at one! Yes, everything keeps going up FOR US PEEONS! $22 to get in the door with parking? Yeah, I'm done!
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

tector wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:46 am
N4KVE wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 am
tector wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:54 pm I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but both could not go (one's mother passed away--RIP). If I am looking for a new gun, I definitely go--I've always gotten really good deals from Khaled in person. But nothing new was tickling my fancy right now. You can find new gun deals online, but shipping (whether built into the price or broken out separately) + transfer fees add up to way more than $22.
The big savings in buying on line is the lack of sales tax. A few months ago I purchased an AP-5, which is a MP-5 built in Turkey on HK machinery. Locally the cheapest I could find it was $1350, plus tax which would be $1449.50. On line it was $1107 delivered to the FFL, plus $25 transfer fee, but no sales tax. So the total was $1132, a difference of $317.50. I gave the FFL a chance to match the price, but he couldn’t, & I don’t blame him, as he is required to collect sales tax. So I took a chance, & rolled the dice, & the gun has been perfect. But it’s the first, & only time I’ve made an online purchase of a firearm. I go to shows now to find guns from the last 30+ years. Not dealers who all have the same Glocks where prices can vary $150-$200 from one table to the next. When I worked for Khaled, & Ira, they’d give me good deals on what I wanted, but I had a herniated disc L3-L4, & can no longer do the shows. And the first time they started charging for parking in Miami, Khaled asked them to record how many people said “fu#k this, I’m leaving. 14 people left. Apparently some new boss at the fairgrounds figured if people could pay to park in South Beach, they could pay to park at the shows. GARY.
Uhhh...the laws about sales tax on internet sales changed quite a while ago. What you say WAS very true back before then. But any commercial dealer (not private sales, like here or FGT) not charging sales tax now is looking to get absolutely clobbered. I'm not doubting your story--hell, I went to the Tulsa gun show, maybe ten years ago, and some guy wanted to private sell me a handgun even though he knew I was from out-of-state (he said "this is Oklahoma, son"). There are all kinds of dopes out there. But the vast majority of sellers are going to collect sales tax now (I think Gunbroker enforces it on all sales).
I was just about to say that...there is no such thing as not paying sales tax anymore, unless the seller is doing it illegally. Gunbroker does indeed charge sales tax and a compliance fee now which they claim goes towards the expense of funneling the taxes to where they have to go
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I’m sure Atlantic wouldn’t risk their business by doing something illegal. While Gunbroker may be collecting the tax, the FFL in the other state is not. Just like when I buy a 10 year old electronic device from Joe Blow on E-Bay, I’m charged tax, but the seller isn’t collecting it. E-Bay is. But I can assure you when I made my purchase from Atlantic, I was not asked to pay sales tax. I’m sure they wouldn’t be doing this if it was illegal, & jeopardize their business. GARY
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Businesses are required to collect sales tax if they exceed $100K in your state

What I am curious about is does that mean when they hit that amount are the first $100K now subject to taxation retroactively or does the sale tax amounts begin at $100K and up?
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

tector wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:46 am
N4KVE wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 am
tector wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:54 pm I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but both could not go (one's mother passed away--RIP). If I am looking for a new gun, I definitely go--I've always gotten really good deals from Khaled in person. But nothing new was tickling my fancy right now. You can find new gun deals online, but shipping (whether built into the price or broken out separately) + transfer fees add up to way more than $22.
The big savings in buying on line is the lack of sales tax. A few months ago I purchased an AP-5, which is a MP-5 built in Turkey on HK machinery. Locally the cheapest I could find it was $1350, plus tax which would be $1449.50. On line it was $1107 delivered to the FFL, plus $25 transfer fee, but no sales tax. So the total was $1132, a difference of $317.50. I gave the FFL a chance to match the price, but he couldn’t, & I don’t blame him, as he is required to collect sales tax. So I took a chance, & rolled the dice, & the gun has been perfect. But it’s the first, & only time I’ve made an online purchase of a firearm. I go to shows now to find guns from the last 30+ years. Not dealers who all have the same Glocks where prices can vary $150-$200 from one table to the next. When I worked for Khaled, & Ira, they’d give me good deals on what I wanted, but I had a herniated disc L3-L4, & can no longer do the shows. And the first time they started charging for parking in Miami, Khaled asked them to record how many people said “fu#k this, I’m leaving. 14 people left. Apparently some new boss at the fairgrounds figured if people could pay to park in South Beach, they could pay to park at the shows. GARY.
Uhhh...the laws about sales tax on internet sales changed quite a while ago. What you say WAS very true back before then. But any commercial dealer (not private sales, like here or FGT) not charging sales tax now is looking to get absolutely clobbered. I'm not doubting your story--hell, I went to the Tulsa gun show, maybe ten years ago, and some guy wanted to private sell me a handgun even though he knew I was from out-of-state (he said "this is Oklahoma, son"). There are all kinds of dopes out there. But the vast majority of sellers are going to collect sales tax now (I think Gunbroker enforces it on all sales).
A number of out-of-state dealers still aren't collecting sales tax for online sales.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
tector

Post by tector »

Wulfmann wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:38 pm Businesses are required to collect sales tax if they exceed $100K in your state

What I am curious about is does that mean when they hit that amount are the first $100K now subject to taxation retroactively or does the sale tax amounts begin at $100K and up?

It's based on the prior year's activity. If they sold $100,000 in FL in 2022, there were supposed to collect in FL in 2023. If they then fell below $100,000 in 2023, they can skip collecting in 2024. In addition to the "base" 6% tax, they also have to collect the "discretionary" add-on sales tax some FL counties have.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”