Omaha Steaks

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
P5 Guy

Omaha Steaks

Post by P5 Guy »

Are the steaks and other offerings really worth the premium price?

https://www.omahasteaks.com/?src=AC1329 ... 08e86e6560

https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/steaks ... ks%20Terms

Are these meats that much better than Winn Dixie or PUBLIX?
Have any of you guys bought from them?
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

No, they are not worth the price.
You can do better at your local butcher shop, or just go to a steak place for dinner at the same cost.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

P5 Guy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:56 am Are the steaks and other offerings really worth the premium price?

https://www.omahasteaks.com/?src=AC1329 ... 08e86e6560

https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/steaks ... ks%20Terms

Are these meats that much better than Winn Dixie or PUBLIX?
Have any of you guys bought from them?
I have not. I would much prefer to inspect the meat that's on the shelves rather than depend on what the company chooses to give me. I'm that way with meat, fish, fresh produce, etc. I get almost all of my groceries delivered from such stores. Bur I will travel to the store at least once a month to get those fresh items (meats, fish etc.) so that I can inspect them.

I'm big on "Beef Tenderloin." And I get most of my tenderloins from Costco, (believe it or not). I'll get whole tenderloin, trim it and then cut 2" medallions out of it, which I'll then freeze. I have one of those "vacuum sealer" bag things that works well. The trick is letting the medallions pre-freeze in the bags for about 1hr or so before you vacuum seal them. Then the juices won't run all over the place.

Once I'm able to get an offset smoker, I may move on to some other meats (Prime Rib, Brisket, pork ribs, Boston butts (for pulled pork) etc.).

As for Omaha Steaks, I won't say either either yes or no. I'll just say, "you get what you get, and you can't choose what you get." I mean, the quality looks very good in the ads/pictures, but is that what you're really getting? And are the sizes the same, or do they look larger in the pics but look a lot smaller when you open the box?

I'd prefer to choose for myself.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I only eat ribeye, or NY strip. I buy it at the store, & choose what I feel is the best looking meat. I don’t need the other things these mail order butchers offer. GARY
George W

Post by George W »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:30 am
I'm big on "Beef Tenderloin." And I get most of my tenderloins from Costco, (believe it or not). I'll get whole tenderloin, trim it and then cut 2" medallions out of it, which I'll then freeze. I have one of those "vacuum sealer" bag things that works well. The trick is letting the medallions pre-freeze in the bags for about 1hr or so before you vacuum seal them. Then the juices won't run all over the place.

Once I'm able to get an offset smoker, I may move on to some other meats (Prime Rib, Brisket, pork ribs, Boston butts (for pulled pork) etc.).

As for Omaha Steaks, I won't say either either yes or no. I'll just say, "you get what you get, and you can't choose what you get." I mean, the quality looks very good in the ads/pictures, but is that what you're really getting? And are the sizes the same, or do they look larger in the pics but look a lot smaller when you open the box?

I'd prefer to choose for myself.
I have a local hookup for buying whole Tenderloins. The quality they have is pretty good, but the prices are great. https://www.facebook.com/packers.plusfoods They're near Hard Rock Tampa off Harney Road in the old Kash N' Karry Distribution Center.

If you sign up for their email list, they'll send one every week or two.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Several times I mail ordered from Ed’s Kasilof Seafoods in Alaska.
https://kasilofseafoods.com/
The salmon, halibut were excellent and the Crab legs were huge. Priced about 50% higher than local grocery stores.
That's why I asked.
tector

Post by tector »

Omaha is a rip-off, basically. To my recollection it is wet-aged, and not graded prime. You are in a metro area. so you can get quality meat from many places--Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and Wild Fork come to mind, plus you almost certainly have local shops (here in SE FL, Doris, A Cut Above, Smitty's and several others offer top line meat). Costco also sells prime, at least down here, if you are a member. All of these options will price out almost as good or even better than Omaha.

If people are looking for REALLY high end meat by delivery, Pat LaFrieda and Lobel's are top end quality and pricing (never tried Allen Bros., but they used to have a fair rep).

At LaFrieda, for example, you can get USDA Prime NY strip steaks either "fresh" (not aged) or dry-aged 30, 45 or 60 days (hardcore enough for most people, although I have read of greatly extended aging if you are into truly funky steaks).

At this point, on my budget, I just buy better quality USDA Choice steaks when they are on sale at Fresh Market, Doris (local) or Whole Foods. I have found some really good deals at WF--when they have short ribs on sale, I often find meaty, almost certainly Prime examples which I cherry-pick, at prices better than scantier offerings at Publix, WD, etc..
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
305tillimoved

Post by 305tillimoved »

Total gimmick.
avmech

Post by avmech »

tector wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:19 pm Omaha is a rip-off, basically. To my recollection it is wet-aged, and not graded prime. You are in a metro area. so you can get quality meat from many places--Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and Wild Fork come to mind, plus you almost certainly have local shops (here in SE FL, Doris, A Cut Above, Smitty's and several others offer top line meat). Costco also sells prime, at least down here, if you are a member. All of these options will price out almost as good or even better than Omaha.

If people are looking for REALLY high end meat by delivery, Pat LaFrieda and Lobel's are top end quality and pricing (never tried Allen Bros., but they used to have a fair rep).

At LaFrieda, for example, you can get USDA Prime NY strip steaks either "fresh" (not aged) or dry-aged 30, 45 or 60 days (hardcore enough for most people, although I have read of greatly extended aging if you are into truly funky steaks).

At this point, on my budget, I just buy better quality USDA Choice steaks when they are on sale at Fresh Market, Doris (local) or Whole Foods. I have found some really good deals at WF--when they have short ribs on sale, I often find meaty, almost certainly Prime examples which I cherry-pick, at prices better than scantier offerings at Publix, WD, etc..
This with one exception.....no basically about it, it is a rip off. Meat quality is maybe right up there with, if you are lucky, Publix. Maybe...........
I found an excellent gun control law we should all follow. It's called the Second Amendment.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

For the 95% of omaha steaks, they suck.

But....The premium select, grass fed beef is superb. I get as a Christmas gift every year a selection of those steaks including a 4lb chateau that will cut with a dull fork it is so tender. The taste is awesome but I would never pay the price that they cost.

Costco rib eyes when I was a member were good.