Good luck Big Bend, North Central FL people!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

SteyrAUG wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:24 am
Honestly... you don't want to know what they is like.
Very early on I learned that you do not cry for material things. You only cry for human beings. You are in the same stadium.

You are aware that there is a big difference between unnecessary risks and necessary risks. Either by experience or training, you know that at times a very thin line separates those two. All things considered, the only fatality during Idalia's path through Florida involved a car crash. I didn't read the story because my gut feeling told me that it seemed like those covid cases during the pandemic, namely, motorcycle accident victim, 50% whole body bone fractures including skull, that just happened to be infected with the virus, and the death goes to the records as a covid death.

Naw, I've been through Cat. 5s and all the way down, in the Caribbean, Florida, and the Pacific. But nobody had to tell me that you do not stand anywhere near a pallet of unsecured 18 gauge metal sheets, either upwind or downwind (depending on your position), during a storm. Heck, even if completely strapped-down and fully secured. Not even Jim Cantore would try something like that. It's just common sense.

A couple of things bother me a lot. Three days out, the weather/climate experts and models still did not have a clear picture on where landfall would be. And those experts are some of the folks blaming it on...climate change. To me, it all boiled down to this. Take high tide, 120-130 winds, and the blue supermoon, mix it together and voila! There you have it...Idalia. And flooding.

Very nice to know that people evacuated the storm surge-prone areas in the immediate vicinity of the eye. Glad to see that common sense prevailed. I really thought that Cedar Key was going to be wiped out.

Take care, be safe.

ETA: Ok, I admit it. When I was young and a lot more stupid, I've gone sightseeing in a vehicle or just walking around. One thing is clear. Even when using a Zippo, it's impossible at times to be able enjoy a cigarette interlude during one of those out there.
Let's Go Brandon
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Humans are great players of the odds when it comes to having a homestead in weather and flood prone areas such as next to rivers and oceans where you are a couple of feet above flood stage, but insurance companies are starting to get wise and all of us are paying the price.
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

Suwannee Cnty got spanked pretty good. No water issues, but lots of wind caused lots of damage. Just about everyone lost power. I had a few massive trees up=rooted. Fortunately, no damaged building at my place.

Generators are running, so I have most nessesities. No water, minimal internet.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Ricordo wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:06 am
SteyrAUG wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:24 am
Honestly... you don't want to know what they is like.
Very early on I learned that you do not cry for material things. You only cry for human beings. You are in the same stadium.
I think you mean "replaceable things" because lots of things given to you by important people aren't replaceable.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Dave P wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:55 am Suwannee Cnty got spanked pretty good. No water issues, but lots of wind caused lots of damage. Just about everyone lost power. I had a few massive trees up=rooted. Fortunately, no damaged building at my place.

Generators are running, so I have most nessesities. No water, minimal internet.
Any reports from Wakulla County and how they made out? Medart in particular?
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

No, sorry. Still no power at my place. Got a cheap ass champion generator - dont bother ! It shuts down every couple of hours!
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Sorry to read that, Dave P.
SteyrAUG wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:25 am I think you mean "replaceable things" because lots of things given to you by important people aren't replaceable.
The stadium got smaller. :lol:

Replaceable or irreplaceable, it makes no difference.

Take the Magna Carta or the Mona Lisa and let them burn to a crisp. They don't care, they don't feel, they can't express themselves. Heck, if you could ask them and they could answer back they could very well tell you that they are...ballpoint pens.

Their only worth is what humans did to them. Their value rests only in the fact that they are expressions of human activity. Nothing more, nothing less. In essence, a parchment, a canvas.
Let's Go Brandon
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Hey Dave,is there anything that those of us who didn't get slammed do to help you out ? Supplies,Ramen noodles,dry ammo ...........
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !