Good luck Big Bend, North Central FL people!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

So far, so good in "inland" Pasco County. Tornado watch most likely will expire at 8am. Just some winds, so far. We'll see, once the outer bands pass.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Inland Sarasota here - just let the dogs out to inspect the damage. So far all I can see in the dark with a flashlight is a few branches down and my backyard chairs tipped over. Minimal standing water.

Praying for Cedar Key, Horseshoe Beach, Stienhatchee, and the rest of the Big Bend area. Storm surge is just now beginning to rise up there.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

Keaten Beach is now considered ground zero and if you Google it and see the satellite image the way the waterways run begs disaster for anyone that did not evacuate with an expected 16 foot surge it will literally be higher than the roof tops.

I hope those people headed the evacuation orders
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Looks like we dodged a bullet in my AO (compared to the original models).

Best wishes to anyone in the bend. Looks like flooding will be wild.
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Very intense competition among all networks for the "Most exaggerated reporting of a natural event" award. They'll probably have to resort to flipping a coin to determine the winner.

Here in beautiful downtown Land O' Lakes, I had a twig fall on my backyard, and a couples of leaves and small branches in the front. If some network had sent a reporter to my area it would have been described as "devastating major deforestation".

Here's an example:

"No one could have ever predicted that people living in low-lying areas at the Florida coast would see their houses flooded with such catastrophic results. Who'd thunk dat? It's unprecedented and clearly a result of climate change. The owners should sue the sellers of their properties because they weren't warned that that could possibly happen. Clearly a fraudulent sale. Oh the humanity!"

ETA: I am reviewing a great offer to buy a patch of land right next to a leaking radioactive dump site. Great views. I can imagine sitting in the porch, sipping coffee prepared with water from my well, and reminiscing about the days gone by and those to come in a time-space warped setting. Real quiet. No neighbors, birds, or wild animals for miles around.
Last edited by Ricordo on Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's Go Brandon
OKIE

Post by OKIE »

Crystal River had a little flooding, this was at 1100, it got worse around 1600.
ImageImageImage
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

Holmes Beach.

The last time I saw that much water in the streets was in '72 when a no-name storm flooded the whole island (7 miles) from end to end.

Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Wulfmann wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:59 am Keaten Beach is now considered ground zero and if you Google it and see the satellite image the way the waterways run begs disaster for anyone that did not evacuate with an expected 16 foot surge it will literally be higher than the roof tops.

I hope those people headed the evacuation orders
Yep. Mobile homes right on the Gulf. What could possibly go wrong?
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/2023 ... verything/

Shore Acres floods because it is barely above the mean high tide.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Ricordo wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:29 am Very intense competition among all networks for the "Most exaggerated reporting of a natural event" award. They'll probably have to resort to flipping a coin to determine the winner.

Here in beautiful downtown Land O' Lakes, I had a twig fall on my backyard, and a couples of leaves and small branches in the front. If some network had sent a reporter to my area it would have been described as "devastating major deforestation".

Here's an example:

"No one could have ever predicted that people living in low-lying areas at the Florida coast would see their houses flooded with such catastrophic results. Who'd thunk dat? It's unprecedented and clearly a result of climate change. The owners should sue the sellers of their properties because they weren't warned that that could possibly happen. Clearly a fraudulent sale. Oh the humanity!"

ETA: I am reviewing a great offer to buy a patch of land right next to a leaking radioactive dump site. Great views. I can imagine sitting in the porch, sipping coffee prepared with water from my well, and reminiscing about the days gone by and those to come in a time-space warped setting. Real quiet. No neighbors, birds, or wild animals for miles around.
Honestly, having lived 45+ years in South Florida, better safe than sorry.

Growing up in the 70s and 80s pretty much nothing, we prepped for David and then it went way north and we thought that is what a hurricane was. Nobody (except the keys which get scrapped every year) had really seen a big one since the 60s. And we all got complacent. Then Andrew hit and nobody was ready for it. More than a few fatalities but honestly, given what I saw I'm amazed it didn't go into the 100s. If that storm would have dead centered on downtown Miami it would have had an impressive body count.

And I get what you are saying, when it turns out to be a 1 and not the Monster 4 they predicted, these guys go find to deepest puddle they can stand in and talk about storm surge while kids ride their bikes on dry land only two houses away. Be glad for the nothingburgers, I've done a handful of real storms and you don't want to know what they is like.