AR15 in 7.62x25

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lilwoody

AR15 in 7.62x25

Post by lilwoody »

My son started this years ago before his sons were born. I finally got it running today after working on it off and on for the last year. I also helped in the initial phases as consultant and moral support. The upper is a Aero Precision, lower is a light weight Fosgate and I do not remember who he had make the pistol gas barrel but I do know they dont make them any longer.. I'm not sure where he got the mag adapter for the PPS mags but making them work was the biggest PIA.
Load development ended up at a slightly compressed load of 13.7 H110 under a 85 grain fmj. They clock at a bit over 2100 fps. Cases I make out of trimmed 223 cases and are run through the sizing twice. Once with the decapping pin in it and at the end without it. I'm sure I could bump the powder charge up to the case full to the top but dont see a reason, there are no high pressure signs on the primer or case.
[
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Bad A$$.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

Now that is something you do not see every day. It has a nice look. So a question, does it have to have the reloaded 223 brass to run or will it work off of commercial and surplus 7.62x25 ammo???
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

Awesome work!

I've been "working" on and off for several years on a 7.62x25 UZI that uses CZ26 mags. I know it's possible since some years ago I missed buying an UZI pistol grip that uses these. I've done all the measuring and have the spare parts but lack the metalworking and welding abilities to go any further. If I ever got it done, my next step was going to be trying it with an AR. Did your son ever consider using these mags? They almost seem like they'd be a better option for an AR.
My posts kill threads.
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

When he had the bolt machined he gave the fella a Siller&Billet case to use as a template. It will work with Siller&Billet ammo but not milsurp. I guess they are a couple thousandths off from each other. This was one of the other issues I had to deal with and going with my home built cases seemed to be easier in the short term. Now looking at it I'm going to keep it this way. It's not any more difficult than making 300 Blackout . Theres also the fact that most range cases are milsurp with Berdain primers and factory ammo or cases are far from inexpensive
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

lilwoody wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:33 am When he had the bolt machined he gave the fella a Siller&Billet case to use as a template. It will work with Siller&Billet ammo but not milsurp. I guess they are a couple thousandths off from each other. This was one of the other issues I had to deal with and going with my home built cases seemed to be easier in the short term. Now looking at it I'm going to keep it this way. It's not any more difficult than making 300 Blackout . Theres also the fact that most range cases are milsurp with Berdain primers and factory ammo or cases are far from inexpensive
Wow good to know.. Thanks
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

That is super cool, I dig it.

But yeah feeding a TOK these days isn't pleasant.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

lilwoody wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:33 am When he had the bolt machined he gave the fella a Siller&Billet case to use as a template. It will work with Siller&Billet ammo but not milsurp. I guess they are a couple thousandths off from each other. This was one of the other issues I had to deal with and going with my home built cases seemed to be easier in the short term. Now looking at it I'm going to keep it this way. It's not any more difficult than making 300 Blackout . Theres also the fact that most range cases are milsurp with Berdain primers and factory ammo or cases are far from inexpensive
Sorry, but I have to ask. Have you tried running it with a 223 bolt? I'm not sure it would chamber but I know some people make 7.62x25 brass from 223 brass so I'd think the size of the case heads were close enough already.
My posts kill threads.
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

Theres a 223 bolt in it in the vide. Making the cases are no more difficult than converting 223 to 300 Blackout