Fla. Sheriff Candidate Hospitalized After Shooting Self

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I simply cannot imagine any woman or anything any woman might do or say being worth taking my own life. I've known men who's wives left them for other men or women, who have taken their kids and never let them see them again, who have bled them dry financially, and who have outed the men for career-damaging/ending "personal predelictions". None of that has ever seemed worth offing yourself over.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

If the wife pushed or slapped his hand,that would explain the exit thru the eye,especially if it was a Glock. Placed on the temple in the correct position does work,fact.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

20 years ago had an older guy temple himself with a 45. The round passed through his head, bounced off the door frame and landed at his feet. He died from bleeding out, not from any brain injury. Painful final minutes, that's for sure.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TonyR wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:38 pm The "selected objective" sounds like the wife slapping/grabbing at firearm caused the change of direction. Is she right handed ?
I would have to agree, then. The CBS article above did indicate that he was alleged to have "put the gun in his mouth" which is the correct "positional placement" to which I referred in my previous post. The quote from the Boston detective on the 60 minutes episode I mentioned was, "put the gun in your mouth... blow your F****n' brains out." I found it truly hard to believe that a LEO of his experience would not know of that "placement" position. But, if his wife was in the car with him (which I didn't know), then it would explain the struggle for the gun and the resultant "improper placement."
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I'm only guessing by saying a Glock because of their touchy triggers.
Knew a guy who was in Zellwood and arguing with his wife who was in Jax-ville,she said she wanted a divorce,he told her I've got your divorce right here,put .38 under his jaw and pulled the trigger,didn't kill him but screwed him up mentally,and then they charged him as a felon in posecion of a firearm and sent him to prison.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TonyR wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:27 pm I'm only guessing by saying a Glock because of their touchy triggers.
Knew a guy who was in Zellwood and arguing with his wife who was in Jax-ville,she said she wanted a divorce,he told her I've got your divorce right here,put .38 under his jaw and pulled the trigger,didn't kill him but screwed him up mentally,and then they charged him as a felon in posecion of a firearm and sent him to prison.
Tragic... for all concerned. Not to sound ghoulish about all this, but I'm thinking there may have been a couple of different factors going on here. Not only "placement" issues but also weapon and ammo choices. You say it was a .38. Was it a standard "revolver" type .38 SPL with ball cartridges that would enter/exit the skull without causing much internal damage (as opposed to a JHP type round that would fracture inside the skull and cause much more damage)? Also, if it was a revolver, was the trigger pull a lot harder (leading to greater inaccuracy)?

I agree with @flcracker. I'm too much of a "fighter." I can't even think of a reason to take my life or anyone else to take theirs. Maybe, if we're talking a "terminal illness" where there is no chance of recovery, and the prognosis is a miserable, painful slow demise but, even then, I wouldn't do it with a gun. I would not want to become another "statistic" for the antis.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Feb.7 1983 my father put a .22 Ruger to his temple,gone,was an alcoholic and was scheduled for court that day for a DUI .
Feb.5 2021 my son,DOB Feb.14 86,was incarcerated in Penn. for armed robbery,hung himself in his cell.

Another guy who I knew put a shotgun under his chin,he lived but was missing his jaw among things.

Mom was always worried about both my brothers who are retired LEO now and myself who rode M/C's for a "living" but not anymore. I always told Mom don't worry about me,I'm gonna stay around as long as possible so I can keep pissin' people off,now I'm waiting on possible/probably cancer results.
Have to agree with Cracker on what he said 100% .Yes,I am an abnormal muthafucker !!
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

I do not get offing one's self. Life is like a movie and leaving before the ending makes no sense.

I want to see how it ends and life, like a movie, always have bad things that somehow are overcome setting up the happy ending

I particularly do not get the suicide because a woman is leaving or cheating.
Move on they are all nuts and not worth dying over
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Lots of stuff that hasn't come out yet! He was supposedly outside of the car, with the wife still inside! Messed up...... knew his life was changed forever from actions that happened at the hotel and decided he didn't want to live through it! Sad and his life is forever changed! Prayers for him and his family!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Wulfmann wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:08 pm I do not get offing one's self. Life is like a movie and leaving before the ending makes no sense.

I want to see how it ends and life, like a movie, always have bad things that somehow are overcome setting up the happy ending

I particularly do not get the suicide because a woman is leaving or cheating.
Move on they are all nuts and not worth dying over
Precisely! And what a nice cold bit of "revenge"to serve to that "Ex" by still being around, and enjoying life, in spite of her actions!

Like I say, the only time even to consider "walking out of the theater before the movie ends," is when we're talking a "terminal illness," where you absolutely know, "how it will end" and the ending will be ugly, painful, etc. etc. If there's any hope for a recovery with a reasonable quality of life, then you fight it out. But, if there is no hope, and the quality of life is tanking, it might be something to consider.