DeSantis-Backed Bill to Reverse Trump-Approved Gun Control Dies in Florida

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
Miami_JBT

DeSantis-Backed Bill to Reverse Trump-Approved Gun Control Dies in Florida

Post by Miami_JBT »

DeSantis-backed bill to reverse Trump-approved gun control dies in Florida. DeSantis stands strong in favor of the Second Amendment, but the bill that would overturn unconstitutional age restrictions and red flag laws dies with the end of the session on March 5, 2023.
DeSantis stands strong in favor of the Second Amendment, but the bill that would overturn unconstitutional age restrictions and red flag laws dies with the end of the session on March 5, 2023.

A Florida measure that would have rolled back the law restricting adults aged 18 to 20 from purchasing long guns and that was being strongly backed by Gov. Ron DeSantis met an untimely death when the session ended on March 5.
DeSantis, a Iraq War veteran, had said the restriction on adults who can legally do most other things older adults can do is "unconstitutional."

"If we're going to say as a society that the age of adulthood is 21 then that would be one thing," DeSantis said in response to a question asked at a May 3 press conference. "But it's not. I mean, you send people out when they're 18, they can vote when they're 18. And so, it's a constitutionally protected freedom, I don't think that there's basis to say that you can just blanket exclude people arbitrarily."

While known as a supporter of the Second Amendment, DeSantis also relied on his military experience in Iraq to convince him that the current law is unjust.

"Look, I was in Iraq," he said. "I was there with 18-year-old Marines, 18-year-old soldiers that were put out in the streets of Fallujah and Rhimadi and told they had to risk their lives for this country. Then they come back after doing that, and even though they were carrying a firearm the whole time, they're told you cannot exercise your Second Amendment rights here as an adult and as a veteran?"

At the time the law was passed and signed by Gov. Rick Scott, President Donald Trump endorsed the under 21 gun ban, along with other bad restrictions in the bill, which also included a rapid-fire device ban and so-called "red-flag" law. Of course, Trump is one of the candidates opposing DeSantis in the 2024 presidential election.
While the pro-freedom organization Gun Owners of America (GOA) was frustrated to see the measure be left unpassed as the session ended, GOA Florida State Director Luis Valdes said the organization appreciates the governor's support on the matter.

"The governor, unlike a number of his fellow Florida Republicans, understands what the Second Amendment means," Valdes said. "He supports legalizing Open Carry in Florida, he supports 'permitless' carry, and he was against the Parkland gun control bill (under 21 purchase ban, mandatory waiting periods and red flag laws) that was passed by a number of Republicans still holding office in the State Legislature."

Valdes said the bill's death can be directly attributed to Republican Senate President Kathleen Passidomo.

"She has publicly stated that she's against legalizing open carry and against repealing the under 21 purchase ban," he said. "Prior to this legislative session , she was even against 'permitless' carry, too.

"In fact, as a Republican, she was a guest speaker for a Democrat event in southwest Florida back in 2019 and told the Democrats that an assault weapons ban would have passed in the Republican-controlled legislature if it weren't for gun owners across the state making it a political issue."

Valdes said that in the end, it takes all pro-gun legislators plus the governor working together to protect the right to keep and bear arms in the Sunshine State.

"The governor, while supportive of such legislation, can't wave a magic wand to get it passed," Valdes said. "The fault lies at the Republican supermajority-controlled legislature. Those Republican lawmakers who campaign on being pro-gun, they once again proved they really aren't because they didn't stand up to Senate President Passidomo and fight for their constituency's Second Amendment rights."
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Perhaps, if we took the "one thing at a time" approach, it would work better. We got permitless carry this year. Next year, we do one thing and the year after that another, until they're all done. If it were me, Red flag law repeal would be next. They can cause more harm by depriving innocent law abiding citizens of their property.. perhaps even permanently if that's what the seizing LEA has in mind.

After that, make Civil Asset Forfeiture illegal. No entity, other than a court of law and after a proper adjudication of guilt, should be allowed to deprive a citizen of their property. Due process!

And, so on, until they're all done. If we throw everything to the legislature at once, I can see why they'd defeat such an omnibus bill.

One thing at a time.
TACC

Post by TACC »

FfNJGTFO wrote:Perhaps, if we took the "one thing at a time" approach, it would work better. We got permitless carry this year. Next year, we do one thing and the year after that another, until they're all done. If it were me, Red flag law repeal would be next. They can cause more harm by depriving innocent law abiding citizens of their property.. perhaps even permanently if that's what the seizing LEA has in mind.

After that, make Civil Asset Forfeiture illegal. No entity, other than a court of law and after a proper adjudication of guilt, should be allowed to deprive a citizen of their property. Due process!

And, so on, until they're all done. If we throw everything to the legislature at once, I can see why they'd defeat such an omnibus bill.

One thing at a time.
I understand that thinking, but don't agree with it for a few reasons
1) We lose any momentum we had going on the 2nd amendment issues.
2) you are now hoping that more of these Republicans don't start leaning more to the left like our wonderful Rino in charge of the senate that shot down the open carry and other priceless bills.
3) you also now have to hope that you get any fence sitting republican constituents to get motivated enough to start pushing, and not get complacent with the miniscule gains reached this year

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TACC wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:18 pm
FfNJGTFO wrote:Perhaps, if we took the "one thing at a time" approach, it would work better. We got permitless carry this year. Next year, we do one thing and the year after that another, until they're all done. If it were me, Red flag law repeal would be next. They can cause more harm by depriving innocent law abiding citizens of their property.. perhaps even permanently if that's what the seizing LEA has in mind.

One thing at a time.
I understand that thinking, but don't agree with it for a few reasons
1) We lose any momentum we had going on the 2nd amendment issues.
2) you are now hoping that more of these Republicans don't start leaning more to the left like our wonderful Rino in charge of the senate that shot down the open carry and other priceless bills.
3) you also now have to hope that you get any fence sitting republican constituents to get motivated enough to start pushing, and not get complacent with the miniscule gains reached this year

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Which is riskier? Having the above things happen, or having the whole effort grind to a screeching halt as we throw too much at them, at once?

You won't lose any 2A Momentum if you always keep an issue on the fire. I'm not saying to wait a whole year on each, I'm saying do one at a time but keep the pipeline full, such that the next one pops up immediately after the previous is done. You'll keep the momentum going. Just in a single pipeline.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

One thing, ten things.
With republican senators like this old cow, you don't stand a chance. She seems more like a democrat plant.

This is the problem with letting bitches get the vote and being treated as equals. They're not equals. They're emotional slugs who need to be reminded that the bedroom and kitchen is their only job.

Why do husbands die first? Cause they want to.......
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Legislative Leadership controls 90% of the power. They determine what will and will not pass. Sen. Ben Albritton is the current Senate Majority Leader. Sen. Albritton also holds the title of Senate President-Designate and will be the next Senate President for 2025-2026. Rep. Daniel Perez is slated to be the next House Speaker. Those are who he need to PRESSURE NOW.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Miami_JBT wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:31 pm Legislative Leadership controls 90% of the power. They determine what will and will not pass. Sen. Ben Albritton is the current Senate Majority Leader. Sen. Albritton also holds the title of Senate President-Designate and will be the next Senate President for 2025-2026. Rep. Daniel Perez is slated to be the next House Speaker. Those are who he need to PRESSURE NOW.
Just out of curiosity, assuming we do put that pressure on the Legislative leaders you mentioned, what's your take on the probability of getting (for example) red flag laws repealed, or Civil asset forfeiture made illegal? Or, are TPTB way too strong to get that done, just as they seemed to have been with OC?
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

Old enough to enlist? You're old enough to purchase a firearm barring any other legitimate denial reasons. I enlisted at 17, and went into Miami MEPS station before being shipped out to training in the 80's. Denying these young men the right to purchase firearms is pants on head level retarded.
Tjl

Post by Tjl »

i'd be curious to see what happens if they decide to restrict the gun purchases to 21, but also restrict enlistment to the military to 21. maybe voting to 21? Nah we need those teenagers to go get sacrificed, even if they cant buy a gun or a f-ing beer.

mature enough to get sent to a shithole country for war, but not mature enough to legally buy a BEER.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Chigger wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:42 pm One thing, ten things.
With republican senators like this old cow, you don't stand a chance. She seems more like a democrat plant.

This is the problem with letting bitches get the vote and being treated as equals. They're not equals. They're emotional slugs who need to be reminded that the bedroom and kitchen is their only job.

Why do husbands die first? Cause they want to.......
And other "progressive" initiatives, as they were called back in the day. At one time, you had to own property (land) to vote. And you had to be able to read to vote and you had to speak English to vote. And until more recently you had to be a resident of the state that you voted, and you had to be a citizen to vote, and there was no ballot harvesting, or drop off ballot boxes that the Kommies just fill up.

So now we are beyond the tipping point. No recovery possible. The Kommies have proved they will win through cheating. All this 2024 election news is just BS - the Kommies will go with what worked with in 2020 and 2022 and win again. Does not matter if Bidumb or Kommieala run - already been decided.

I am registering Democrap for the next election.
  • Voting for RFK Jr. in the primary. Got to fight the Kommies from the inside. F*ck Bidum and Kommiella or Newsom.
  • When the Gooberment agencies, ATF, IRS, FBI or whatever build their list for swatting they won't include us registered Democraps!
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!